Thursday, July 21, 2011

Suzanne

I have a dear triathlon friend whom I haven't seen in a few years. Last time was on the descent from top of Mt. Baker. I was filming, stopped on the scooter to take a couple of stills with Artist's Point in the background. One of those serenely spectacular moments. At maybe 40mph Suzanne has the cycling presence to: A) See me, B) ID me as me, C) Come to a safe stop and say hello. Classy.


We raced together for many years, testing our IM training in CdA, Penticton as well as shorter venues such as the ill-fated Kingfisher, Lake Stevens, Pacific Crest, Black Diamond, and of course, Elma. We even roomed in Kona one year, she competing, me filming. She raced smiling before Natasha Badman and Chrissy Wellington popularized it. You build deep friendships with the passage of time and space. One year, might have been 2001, I flew in from the Indian Ocean and we hooked up in Penticton at the race brief the day before IMC. We were getting caught up when I noticed about a roll and a half of duct tape wrapped around her left foot.


What is THAT?


I broke two toes swimming this week.


And you wrapped them in duct tape and are going to race tomorrow?


Yes.


Duct tape?


It's more slippery than regular tape so it might help my swim.


Ah.


I remember one year she did five Ironmans in one season, including New Zealand, Canada, and Kona. The gal can go.


Saturday in Chelan I saw a mutual friend (who just happens to be in my age group) and I inquired abut her. Did she get married? (even though I knew she had) Move to Poulsbo? Still racing? Still smiling?


Stuart kinda laughed, I think because he knew I would appreciate what he was about to say, but it none-the-less caught me by surprise. Sorta.


Next week we are crewing for her on the Race Across Oregon, he announced. She also did UltraMan Canada last year. So yeah, she is still racing (and married and smiling).


OMG, I blurted. RAO is what, 520 miles and you have 48 hours to ride it?


Exactly.


I shake my head with humility and awe. It just took me 5 hours and 20 minutes to go 70.3 miles and she is doing 520 miles in 48. My swim cap is doffed.


But I will tell you this: If anyone I have ever trained with, rode with or competed against can do it, and do it well, Suzanne can.


Go get 'em Lady, you seriously rock.


More info on Race Across Oregon here.


Video of new Look/Polar power system. This might change things some.


We are heading out in an hour for our 70 miles out and back to Quilcene. Drizzle is clearing (somewhat) and we have assembled a nice crew. Pix later tonight.

No comments: