Friday, December 31, 2010

Woof



During my rounds last night I mentioned to neighbor Pat (wife to one of our regulars, Frankie) that if she needed me I would be over at RG's watching the football game. You know the one, Holiday Bowl, Nebraska against my 14 point underdog Huskies. You will also recall that earlier in the year I watched, from the isolation of my cheap room in Branson, MO, the Dawgs get totally dismantled by these same Cornhuskers, 56-21.

With all the drama heading into last nights contest; Jake's final game, a bowl after eight long and painful losing years, the history between the two schools and perhaps most importantly, the UW's triumphant return to pigskin prominence, the game had matchups galore and backstory aplenty.

By now you know the outcome, as many writers, all more gifted and blessed with an objective grasp of the narrative than I, have told the tale. Dawgs won everything in sight. It was a great night to be a Husky, a feeling more than once mentioned in several of the stories. The last time we collectively pounded our chests in this manner was at the Rose Bowl, ten years ago. The RCvman was there in 2001, feeling just the same as today: Proud of the kids, happy with the progress of the program and looking forward to continued success down the line.

Fast forward to this afternoon when Pat calls and needs a new prescription filled at the Safeway. I was out running in the park, a treacherous but crisp 5K. Her voice message referenced the game with a finish that included the line, "and since I don't speak football, anytime today would be great."

I go over to pick up a check to pay for the meds and the Saturday Times is on the table with a great shot of Alemeda Ta'amu sacking the Huskers QB. Not one for missing an opportunity for the dramatic, I hold up the front page in all it's purple and gold (and black) glory and proclaim,

"I can teach you all you need to know about football in the Northwest in one word,"

"Oh really"

"Yes"

"The word?"

"WOOF".

Chris Polk puts it into overdrive Thursday night. Photo from GoHuskies.com

6 comments:

ej said...

Long live the Golden Gophers

KML5 said...

Ya want a fun research project? Please tell me the last time the GGs beat Nebraska.

ej said...

ahhh, never maybe. maybe in the 40s when Bronco Nagurski was a Goph. I read that the Cornhuskers have the third best record of all time.

The gophers weren't bad when the old Colts coach played QB for him --- you know Peyton's old coach.

ej said...

actually, I read that the Gophs were national champs in 1960. That is like yesterday. but I doubt they played Nebraska. the Gophs though, in general, never had a really good QB like Ryan Leaf or Jake Locker. :)

ej said...

now I see that the Gophs did beat Nebraska in 1960. but in 1983 they lost 84-13 to huskers or thereabouts. I've never heard of 84 points in football.

KML5 said...

The thing I like about college football is watching the progress (and sometimes enduring its opposite) of the kids as they grow as athletes. That hubris has an abrupt end on occasion due to injury, bad coaching and/or graduation. Bowl games are a great stage for the drama of five years of team effort and personal growth. It was a joy and rare pleasure to have had the opportunity to watch Jake Locker play for the Huskies these past five years. My "woof" post was a salute to the work put in by the UW coaching staff and the absolute flawless execution by the team in the Holiday Bowl (after getting thumped by the same team in September). But you know what? It's over, a memory, past tense. A statistic.

We beat Nebraska. The last time we played Minnesota (in the 61 Rose Bowl) we beat them too. It's 2011. Time to put focus towards doing the same to those ugly ducklings from Eugene. THAT will bring us into present tense. WOOF.