Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hallelujah


BMI is in the news, again. On the heels of our initial testing yesterday a synchronistic plethora of related articles hit the blogsphere.

Much as we saw with the 220 minus your age HR debacle a few years back, this is simply a way to get peoples attention. Numbers will do that. Stats. Percentiles. Risk. And yes, scare tactics. If this is what it takes to get the 60 or so percent of Americas off their fat and lazy asses and into a structured program of better eating and regular exercise, then so be it. I am onboard. Lord knows I have tried many different approaches to accomplish this noble agenda, from bribery to example, and while there has been some success, the overweight/obesity numbers we see today indicate that there is more, much more, work left to be done.

So let's get on with the show.

Day one on the NBD (no bread diet) was interesting. I thought I might have been doin' the jones for a while as my blood sugar responded to the change. But we rode it out using a Zen technique called, ahem, attention. Works like this: Hunger pangs pop up. Understand them, acknowledge them, empathize with them, respect them. THEN LET THEM THE HECK GO. Next? Works every time, grasshopper.

I have so much to do today that 24 hours might not be enough. Packing and prepping for Mexico. Cabin clean up. Trip to the LBS for spare tires and tubes. I would love to get in a run sometime assuming that the park isn't under ten feet of water from the rains.

Speaking of good diet and exercise, here are a few of the articles that showed up yesterday. One from NPR, one from the Seattle Times, and here is a handy calculator to find your very own BMI. Seems 20 to 25 is the goal.

Equally as important is the fitness and movement side of the equation. I am on Chris Carmichael's mailing list, and his terrific newsletter arrived yesterday. The quoted section below particularly caught my attention. Any of this sound familiar? Chris is the coach of Lance, Craig Alexander, George Hincapie, Heather Golnick and hundreds of other world-class athletes. He is easily the best marketeer of coaching services out there today, as a quick trip to his site will attest.

Lastly, before I begin the aforementioned chores, here is as cool a video as you will find on YouTube. Please spend five minutes and check it out. You will be glad you did. However, please do NOT hang out in mall food courts waiting for a encore.

That alone would raise your BMI a point or two.

I took a few things away from the NY Times article that are very relevant for athletes in their 40s-60s:

• Protect your mitochondria: these powerplants in your muscle cells process fat and carbohydrate into energy, and when you lose mitochondria your performance goes downhill quickly. Exercising consistently and including hard efforts are crucial components of maintaining and increasing the size and number of mitochondria in your muscles.

• Don’t stop training or competing: Your peak performance markers and your interests may change as you grow older, but research is suggesting that staying engaged in training and competition keeps aging athletes out of the doctor’s office and adds life to their years, if not years to their life.

• Intensity is important throughout your life: I’ve written about it in "The Time-Crunched Cyclist” and “Time-Crunched Triathlete” and I’ve experienced it myself – athletes in their 40s and older, especially those who are short on training time, need more intensity in order to attain high-performance fitness. And the newer research is suggesting that higher-intensity training now may mean retaining the ability to train effectively decades from now.

George Frideric Handel had a less than perfect BMI (estimated at 32.6) but he wrote some beautiful music. Hallelujah.

11 comments:

le said...

Suggestion- may seem far flung and may not be for you, but I add hemp hearts to my morning oatmeal or swiss muesli. The protein, fiber and high omega oil content take a while for your body to break down, which lessens hunger, gives you energy, etc. Getting 20g of protein in the AM helps regulate blood sugar during the day. They have em at Willows.

KML5 said...

Thanks le, I will give it a go. Any buzz involved with the hemp? That's all I need is to go on a flashback diet! It would drive EJ completely nuts if I started to play some live Dead in class (OK, now a little 20 minute standing climb at level 7, and please pay particular attention to Phil's bass line during the bridge). btw, you look great!

ej said...

I'm going to try that hemp; maybe that is exactly what I need. Thanks le. maybe it will even help me like those goofy Dead songs like TN. :) but, really, I think KML5 should switch em out for more ozark mt daredevils (for example) for a cool change.

KML5 said...

FYI, If ya Wanna get to Heaven has been played 100 times more than Tennessee Jed. Much in the same way that white bread is consumed 100 times more the hemp hearts. Some things are simply better than others. Just my choice. That being said, my mitochondria really likes the way Jerry played guitar and sang. Interestingly, and on thread, his BMI led to his demise, alas. (And I know he used hemp)!

le said...

Alas, no thc in these hearts but I think the idea of the flashback diet is a good one. i heard some new tunes on wed am's playlist- ej- where were you? still in the fruit aisle at t&c? thanx for the compl kml and enjoy the warm waters of Mexico.

KML5 said...

Had a long chat with the (expert) gal at Willows about HH. I was actually expecting to pay more (perhaps a first). Looking forward to having some in morning as protein smoothie. Thanks again for the tip.

The RCVman marches (spins) to his own drummer, and OMG there are two of them!

ej said...

my son told me that it was too late for me to eat right as I only had 30 some years to live. I told him that that is what makes it even more important. e.g., Jerry, ouch.

For the Ozarks I was thinking maybe this for a long hill climb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79odxrtS0Xg I'm kind of partial to 'You Made It Right'as well. I suppose Jackie Blue wouldn't work.

ej said...

PS - Every time I go to T & C now I see le, usually in the fruit and veggie section but I supppose that would figure me being a vegetarian and all.

ej said...

here is another oldie spin song for your collection. somehow the ozarks made me think of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2sYfGcJdhw

KML5 said...

le knows good veggies when she sees 'em! I have no problem with either of those tunes, consider them added to playlist. Let's reflect, EJ spin contributions to date:

Better than Ezra
Gomez
Joni Mitchell
Pable Cruise
OMD

Gracias amigo.

ej said...

I didn't know you cataloged all the contributions. Then, I think you need about 6 KT Tunstall songs as she is the best pop/rock/folk entertainer in the last 30 years (even when she does a cover): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOidLIoVNgc

Also, two or more Chaka Kahn. I knew there was something wrong with BI.