Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day sixty-six and extra credit


In my ongoing attempt to master the obvious, a noble endeavor I find most challenging, the last few days have provided some rather interesting observations.

Which of course I will share with you.

Because that serves a number of purposes. One being my belief that the way to get better at anything is to do it often. Writing, like cycling, needs to be preformed on a regular basis in order to improve. I do this everyday. One day I hope to craft a piece that contains zero grammatical, syntactical or spelling errors. This is juxtaposed to the same idea in cycling where I long for one perfect ride. Indoors or out. Makes little difference, find the zone, hold it, execute flawlessly, stay present.

Is that obvious or something more esoterically subtle? I don't really know and I can't really tell.

Further, to me it makes no difference. The obvious is that good writing takes practice. The nuance is finding the answer to the 'how much' practice question. A chapter a day? A column per week? Three pages? One haiku? Do it, measure it and then manage it.

Same with cycling. Five hours with the team? A 90 minute spin class? Twice a week 2x20s? One Gran Fondo a year? 400 watts?

We could go on with this ad naseum. Workout your own salvation. Make some mistakes. Overtrain. Scribble notes to self until the cows return home. Challenge yourself to a higher standard. Above all, engage your compete self in the process. Enjoy the ride.

Nobody is holding a loaded revolver to your head demanding you write or ride. It is your decision. Your art. Your one chance at forging a life worth living. That sacred journey contains the effort of today. Make it count.

That is obvious isn't it?

For extra credit give me 300 words on riding a fixed gear bike 300 miles. Due Monday.

No comments: