Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day eighty-seven


Interestingly, but not uncommonly, I went off on a few tangents this morning. At the time, our weekly 90 minute indoor cycling session in a room affectionately hailed as the House of Mirth, it seemed like a good use of the interval phase designed to allow recovery. That phase allows one to catch breath, relax, make necessary adjustments, shoot some electrolytes and swab the deck. It also allows the conductor of this chaotic cacophony to add some noetic spice to the mix.

Which I have been adding for the last ten years with this group. Sure I have raised a few eyebrows with my political commentary, ruffled feathers with endorphin fueled pot-shots, challenged when I could have consoled and even run-off many as a result of one form of bombast, innuendo, inappropriate metaphor or another.

Ya know what? Too bad. Sorry. I cannot be all things to all people. So I be who I am and do what I do. If I offend you along the way, I sincerely apologize. But that is life in this fast lane. If you want challenge and if you can take the heat, there is no better value. Please be advised that there are side effects. I think you know what they are.

I respect your decision to reject my approach. If you want a conservative, non-threatening, vanilla, piece-of-cake, walk-in-the-park session with a set full of modern, winy, teen-crap tunes, there are opportunities galore. Try one. Try ten. I will not be offended if you choose Pink over Pink Floyd, or Miley and Justin over Simon and Garfunkel. Your are a big girl, walk the walk.

So today I picked two topics as themes to illustrate the importance of knowing ourselves. Of knowing how we respond to stress, challenge and hard work. Of practicing the edgy intensity one step outside the comfort zone. I find these two crucial once on that path.

1) Confidence.
2) Attitude.

And we worked our butts off for an hour and a half to a compilation of classic rock in a hot room with twenty people. And it fucking rocked.

Hold me closer Tiny Dancer.

No comments: