Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day eighty-four demo


We get going for real today. The yard sale was nice. The Craig's List postings successful and the rental unit secured. Today I will make 1,000 executive decisions to determine the fate of 1,000 things. What to toss, what to box, what to keep and what to recycle.

The goal is to find an efficient state of ruthless benevolence. Quickly assign value and act. Don't let memories, emotions, gilt or fear enter into the equation. Be a mindless cleaning machine. If there isn't someone standing in your shadow with cabbage in paw pleading to take possession, toss that thing like a radioactive potato.

I have always had a difficult time dong this. It shows. I have collected stuff that even Fred Sanford would call junk. And a lot of it. This 40 yard demo box may not hold it all. We might need a bigger bin. Or heavy machinery to smash it into a more manageable size. Like sawdust debris. I actually once considered digging a giant hole and burying everything.

But that was yesterday. Today we glove-up and get the heavy lifting done. I have the dumpster for another six days. It will be interesting to see just how much it will hold. Ten years is probably cake, twenty do-able, but thirty?

Half of me wants this to be over. The other half appreciates the challenge. No matter the label I hang on this monumental chore, it must get done.

And I am the one who must do it.

Let's get going. Let's make it real. Be ruthless yet compassionate, happy in your work. A tutta forza!

When is lunch?

No comments: