Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day eighty-five, Mercedes as Mataphor


"Why would you buy a car without a reverse?", he asked hesitantly, fully aware that his Volvo 70XC had the same mechanical deficiency.

"After selling three scooters, my truck and Bluey, I was suddenly without anything but my bikes. So I went to Craig's List on a mission to find the best local and affordable value and pull the trigger."

"And that was a Mercedes with no reverse?".

"Yes."

Smirking a head turn with a feint grin he says 'OK" with little confidence, kinda the way a used car salesman in a plaid sports coat claims everything works and she gets great gas mileage.

So now I have to make it work. To prove to my brother that he is not related by blood to a complete idiot. That there is actually a plan here waiting to be flawlessly executed to return the investment.

I now have to do intel to find a parking place, make sure there is a turnaround at the end of the road or park on a hill to roll backwards. But she purrs on the highway like a leopard in overdrive, smooth, powerful and stylish, hungry for game.

Yes I have buyer's remorse. That new transmission, even rebuilt, is going to cost me a grand. But as I paid 5K less than low bluebook, it is still an investment that could move my finances forward. A direction in which I now navigate.

Because there is no reverse.

She runs great!
Wow. Mercedes as metaphor.

No comments: