Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Seven Seas



We talked a little about Dr. David Coppel's concepts of training the mind along with the body. His 7 C's of successful sports performance, with some juicy quotes after:

Commitment:
"You have to pay the price. You will find that everything in life exacts a price, and you will have to decide whether the price is worth the prize". Sam Nunn

Control:
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”
Mario Andretti

Concentration:
"Concentration is the secret of strength”. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Confidence:
“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love". Lao Tzu

Communication:
"The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it". Edward R. Murrow

Consistency:
Repeating successful patterns. KML

Competence:
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity". Robert A. Heinlein

If we could sail upon these seven seas, we could visit many an exotic port o' call. Heck, six of seven will get you to Kona.

Pix: The Ironman awards podium as seen from the last row of VIP seats. The fastest ten women in the world. See Chrissie's times on the screen. Yikes.

10 comments:

ej said...

I wonder if any of those competitors consider the wooden bowl the "prize"? Nice list and quotes. How can you beat Lao Tzu? Hermann Hesse has a nice book of sayings and quotes or maybe its a compilation of HH sayings.

I have a question. If so many people read this blog how come only Tony, myself, the author, and occasionally Lynn and Frozen comment? This blog needs more regular commentators to liven up or at least broaden the conversation.

ej said...

PS - I looked at those women's legs and somewhat surprisingly they all look fairly similar. Maybe there is type of leg profile that makes for a successful Tri competitor.

KML5 said...

ej, the bowls have Hawaiian cultural and spiritual significance and look better on stage than giving each of the top ten an envelope with a check inside. As for their legs, remember this is Sunday night, a whole 24 hours after their race, I can guarantee you that they look very different while racing.

And as far as comments. I dunno. I try to broaden the conversation via topics but it seems the harder I try the more mawkish I get. Thank the Lord I have a day job (kinda anyway).

Lastly, somebody asked me the other day after class if Herman Hess wrote Born to be Wild.

Badda bing.

Thanks for YOUR comments!

Anonymous said...

I am a faithful reader and always enjoy whatever you share. I should comment more. I struggle however, much like the computer you mentioned above, with "what to say and how to say it" (. . .intelligently) :)

I really like the 7 C's, thanks for sharing.

ej said...

Yeah, next to me and maybe Tony, Frozen is the most faithful commenter. She should come down sometime and do a few spin classes.

Lisa has some ceramic and pottery bowl trophies from 100 and 50Ks with writing glazed into them and I use them to store cookies. :)

Are you saying those competitors legs are swollen or what?

ej said...

PS - Hesse did write "Beneath the Wheel" and I guess he was a rocker.

FW said...

The majority has always been silent. Maybe not always moral.

I think you need to be boomer or older to pick up on those references. This is pre-pc, and I don't mean politically correct.

KML5 said...

Frozen: Thanks. You rock. Here is my criteria for posting: IT HAS TO HAVE MEANING. Honesty and passion are the only required ingredients. Humor and insight are trace elements. Intelligence I leave to others (links). No trans-fats. It has gotta be healthy. People can agree, disagree, debate or share tales of the road. We can communicate often and thereby benefit all. We can vent, rage or scream. We can laugh.

Or worse, we can say nothing at all.

I'm used to it. After all, who really cares what I think about anything? There is a lot of good stuff out there. I am just trying to find some and present it for approval.

You might call it sharing the thanks. So thanks for sharing.

ej said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/health/nutrition/12best.html?hpw

KML5 said...

Good article. Running outside is cool anytime. Cycling otoh.....is why God (or more precisely Wilfred) invented the CompuTrainer.