Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Balance



Perhaps just as important, bear in mind that exercise has benefits beyond weight reduction. In the study of obese people who took up exercise, most became notably healthier, increasing their aerobic capacity, decreasing their blood pressure and resting heart rates, and, the authors write, achieving “an acute exercise-induced increase in positive mood,” leading the authors to conclude that, “significant and meaningful health benefits can be achieved even in the presence of lower than expected exercise-induced weight loss.”

In, ahem, tandem with yesterdays starter course, here is an excellent article from the NY Times on a very thorough testing protocol analyzing the relationship of (our usuals) diet and exercise. One of the myths exposed is that of the "afterburn" where we once took great pride in knowing that we were doing good not only in the moment, but for the future as well***. Also of interest is the conclusion that the scientists took away, that of balance, with the age old cliche of "calories in-calories out" the standard.

I especially like the side benefit of "acute exercise-induced increase in positive mood." Sounds like endorphin flow to me.

So eat well and exercise often my friends. And if you are looking to lose some weight, balance out your intake and output. Here, less is more.

The CompuTrainer Performance Improvement Guarantee (PIG) piglet sits atop the CT handlebar control unit as a reminder. And a fit couple on the tandem on Mt. Baker.


***Let's look at this a little closer shall we? What do you see from the testing? Is there something a little "odd" here? Hummmmm.

12 comments:

FW said...

Nice photo of Joseph and Amanda. They came in under 2 hours on the Mt. Baker Hill Climb.

ej said...

So is eating two sleeves of Oreos with a glass of red wine out of the question?!

FW said...

I would not think so. 1 Oreo Cookie, regular contain 55 calories. How many in a sleeve -- 15? 15 x 55 is 825 calories. Two of those is 1650. Red wine is 25 calories per ounce, so there's at least 100 calories in a typical serving, for a grand total of 1750 calories. Assuming a guy needs 2500 calories per day to stay even, then you have only 750 calories left for the rest of the day. It's all about the numbers.

ej said...

Good, that was what I was going for 1750. Now I can stop for the day and start up again tomorrow.

KML5 said...

Here is how I couch it: If you are in my age group, by all means, if I am coaching you, no freaking way.

Thant being said, I very much enjoy my glass of red wine.

ej said...

Well, what is to be done if your looking for a snack and the only thing that looks appetizing is the 'big box' of Oreos you purchased at Costco? You need something to wash them down.

le said...

and it’s not just number of calories; it’s quality of calories. I’m coming off a 28 day cleanse (well, more like a 48 day cleanse with the 10 days prep time I needed to wean my body off excessive levels of caffeine and then the last ten days reintroducing certain foods). Based on this personal and painstaking research, I concur with the simplest of approaches: eat plants, eat whole foods. They convert to more pure and sustainable energy than all that other junk. Oreos are deliciously devilishly deceiving. The wine on the other hand…..

KML5 said...

I know it sounds Orwelian, but all calories are not created equal, as in calories from fat. Thanks for sharing your experience LE, I am thinking about another grapefruit and pumpkin seeds diet for a week and your comments pushed that along. Caffeine is a tough cookie...

speaking of cookies, EJ, I know you have kids in the house, but try this: Replace that big box of Oreos with little boxes of raisins or dried apricots. Next time you're at Costco DON'T PUT THEM IN THE CART.

Call me if ya need me to talk ya through the big box jones.

KML5 said...

le, after the 48 days, how are you feeling?

le said...

Rock’em, sock’em. Thanx for asking kml. Feelin’ enuf motivation to continue with what I learned, rather than rushing back to bad habits. As u know, I like it sweet, even so that I timed the end of the cleanse to coincide with hallow’s eve. But after feeling immediate negative effects on my body upon consuming certain things, I’m back to healthier choices. Dropping caffeine was the hardest part for me too, and in the end, one of the most important.

KML5 said...

In Food, Inc. last night they said (amongst other nastier things) that the human taste buds have evolved to craving three tastes:

1) Salt
2) Sugar
3) Fat

Now, I make a large percentage of my income from marketing, and it is not lost on me that those three are EVERYWHERE, IN EVERYTHING AND CAUSE BOATLOADS OF PROBLEMS. I mean, really, we just as well could call them:

1) Alcohol
2) Tobacco
3) Firearms

To big biz we are commodities. Consumers. Lobbyists look at obese, sugar buzzed, hung-over, Skoal spittin' bubbas sportin' double barrel-over-and-unders and say, "nice".

None for me, thanks.

Congrats of your efforts. Rock em.

ej said...

Great, more hurdles to conquer.I'm going to miss those cool designs they put on the tops of those cookies. Thanks all!