Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Seven and Counting


Counting.

A) Repetition is refinement.

B) Practice makes perfect.

C) Perfect practice makes perfect.

D) The longer you go, the better you get.

E) Longevity is the goal, survival the game.

Which is true?

I have been experiencing an odd new twist to the routine. Something comparatively exciting and urgent. Also something I don't 100% understand. Yet.

It goes as follows: I really look forward to working out. And even more so to going hard while I work out. Precisely, going to max in the morning spin session, and then slightly below that intensity level later in the day running. This, five days a week with a long run or ride and then one recovery day.

It feels very much natural. I feel great. Please be advised that I say this as a triathlete who has often logged 18 hour weeks of training. Yes my left side ilioipsosas still occasionally moans for massage, but overall, I think what is happening is this: I have reached another plateau. It is time to add to the stress load, up the ante, attack.

Further, the reason I feel so good about all this is, that I utterly enjoy the feeling of my body firing on all cylinders as it performs. We have paid the price of admission and now it is time to enjoy the show. Endless hours of saddle time have provided a stable and solid foundation, trillions of pedal rotations have refined and balanced the stroke, thousands of hill repeats have strengthened the core and performance muscles, hundreds of sprints have adjusted the carburetion and intake to exacting standards, and continued commitment to additional improvement has supplied a high octane like fuel that keeps the next session an event to eagerly anticipate instead of apathetically dread.

At what time of the day do we get to do this? Let it all go and cut it loose? Focus on nothing but the attainment of our physical best? Breathe hard and deep, take the heart rate towards its apex, feel our muscles respond to ever raising stimulus? Create an internal chemistry that sometimes feels illegal. FIRE ON ALL CYLINDERS?

If you answered: all of the above, I'll see you in the morning.

Junior hits seven. And counting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! All ON Baby!! *ALL* ON!!

KML5 said...

Smoother, quicker, quieter, longer as the folks at Bardhal used to say.