Saturday, November 21, 2009

More Core



Questions about The Core came up today. We work it a lot in our HIT sessions, and this morning I asked that we move our focus lower than ever to a place regarded as the hardest to specifically target in resistance training. The lowest of the low. The first stack of cans at the bottom of the shelf holding the top four of the six pack. You of course know that there are actually eight, but that doesn't have quite the same ring (unless you drink Guinness). I think we did pretty good with this fist time visualization., and I grant you that it is a tough one to master. But as we age and as our metabolism begins to slow, we have a decision to make (yet another decision): Let the process happen and accept that 90% of us in our age demographic have, pick your term, ponch, gut, jelly belly, beer belly, flabby abbys, spare tire, love handles, or my favorite denial spin, a thyroid problem. Or we can take charge of ourselves and DO SOMETHING.

The logical question after class this morning was: What exactly do we do?

Glad you asked.

Three things.

Thing Number One: Restrict our caloric intake and especially that of saturated fat.
Thing Number Two: Work the core through high intensity training.
Thing Number Three: Stretch, twist, target thru Pilates, Physio ball or dance.

I am assuming that you understand by now the tangential fine print associated with these. Consider that two of the three will only yield at best a 66% success probability. If that isn't good enough for you, than you are going to have to add some dedicated and detailed work to the mix. You are going to need three of three. In some combination. Such as:

Lose the Krispy Kremes.
Climb out of the saddle longer.
Two days a week hanging crunches.

Replace peanut butter with grapefruit at breakfast.
Add resistance to your spin.
Pilates class twice a week.

Smaller portions.
Run stairs, or hill repeats once a week.
Brazilian dance.

And please folks, try to remember that this is a process. It will not happen overnight. Sometimes it won't happen in a year. Be patient. Enjoy the ride. Consider it a healthy life style choice. The core muscles, and for our purposes let's define the core as the superficial and deep abdominal muscles (transverse abdominus, rectus abdominus, internal obliques, external obliques, and quadratus lumborum) along with the superficial and deep muscles of the low back (multifidi, spinal erectors, etc.) all play a huge and vital role for core stabilization and strength, but are the hardest muscle groups to effectively target. Hard yes, impossible, no. We can rise to the occasion and meet the challenge. With grace and élan. Maybe even with a smile. So......

Let's start right now. Breathe, hold deep in you lower belly. Exhale and locate your lower abs, constrict them and hold. Feel an immediate improvement in your posture? Repeat.

Now log off and go run.

10 comments:

ej said...

If Shakira was my housekeeper and personal trainer I could get all of this done.

KML5 said...

And more

Anonymous said...

Excellent, I really appreciate this, and would love to take action, however, I've got this, er uh, thyroid thing. . .

Actually, I've just added the hanging crunches to my repertoire and am loving it. Thanks for all the great info/reminders. :)

ej said...

Thats it exactly. I'm going to get a pair of those ankle holsters like Richard Gere had in that one movie and do gravity push-ups while hanging upside down. Thanks Kevin and Frozen for all of your great ideas and advice.

ej said...

PS - I was in the Grand Forest yesterday late on the M-bike and got so hot I had to ditch all the layers down to my t-shirt. Then I came out of the woods somewhere near Meadowmeer and was lost so I hit Kuora back to the parking lot and almost froze to death. The drivers thought I was crazy. Now I'm listening to non-stop rain which is flooding all the trails. Time to swim some laps or build an arc.

KML5 said...

I might even swim today....it is raining hard. Was thinking about climbing indoor stairs, but our tallest building is only three stories. Perfect day to finish Born to Run on Mp4 and arc trainer. And inverted crunches.

Have been inspired by Garmin so I am working on the first annual RCV Christmas commercial.

Let it rain.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the rain. -20, pipes froze, front door froze shut (third day in a row), can we please just move to vegas now, PLEASE!! More hanging crunches. :)

The RCV Christmas commercial sounds great, enjoy that too.

KML5 said...

That is cold! I'm hopin' you got plenty of dry wood stacked. Did ya ever read To Build a Fire? Intense. And (speaking of cold) The Road is set to release. I'll see if I can write in a part about the cold rain and snow in the CT commercial in your honor. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

To Build a Fire, ooo a classic I should read, especially given my appalling fire-building skills, might learn something. My nightstand has room for maybe one more book before it topples. :)

. . .in *my* honor? ahh shucks. :)

KML5 said...

Jack London was on to something. The drama of real life. Magnified a thousandfold.