Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Blob


Ran into an old friend at the grocery store this afternoon. I was on my way back from shopping for Junior who will be eight on Saturday. Got him some cool physics, mechanical and electrical building kits after nixing the idea of a Chinese made Stratocaster. I did get to play an ultra cool cedar top twelve string that almost made my finger picking sound decent.

So I pull into the Albertson's thinkin' I'll forage for some grub and run into Greg and his Mom. I think his Mom is close to 100. She sees OK, but the hearing is a touch light. She wore thick tortoise rim glasses under her blue-grey hair. She was adorable and Greg led her lovingly by her left elbow. During the introduction Greg went into my bio, a narrative simultaneously flattering and humbling.

Kevin runs marathons, teaches studio cycling, makes triathlon videos, and writes a great blog too.

Very nice to meet you.

Greg and I exchanged notes, he on his environmental film project and flying (he is a pilot) and me on the GoPro camera that I will grip to the landing struts of a helicopter for overheads at the next Ironman.

Chat over we said our good-byes as they walked towards the express checkout and I towards the deli for some egg salad.

I heard her say, "He doesn't look old enough to have written The Blob."

Movie Poster: Yes, that's Steve (from 1958).

4 comments:

ej said...

That's Klute, I mean Bullitt. I wish Ali McGraw was here to correct me. Jane Fonda can stay wherever in the heck she is.

ej said...

Wait a minute, I just found out Ali is over 70 now. Maybe she could just berate me a while for being such a pig; that might be good enough.

KML5 said...

My favorite Steve McQueen character was from Great Escape. Just watched Don Southerland the other night in The Italian Job remake. I have never seen Love Story. I hope I am still writing the Blob when I am 70. I was working in a theatre in LA when Bullet came out and we used to count the hub caps flying off as they raced thru SF. If memory serves, I think there was 16 from Steve's car alone. Anybody that Cheryl Crow writes a song about is OK in my book.

ej said...

yeah, suddenly 70 is starting to sound kinda young. how scary is that...