Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fire and Water

Some updates on this fine (albeit wet) Thursday. The first update on day 10 of the low glycemic-high intensity test. All I can say is "so far-so good". I was down to 158lbs after this morning's relaxing Yoga session with Michelle. Who, btw, will be hosting a video capture the weak after Sea Otter. We are shooting for April 19 for the shooting. I tweaked me right hammy on Monday (stretching, of all things) and nursed it through THREE sessions yesterday, the usual 0530 romp (for details see yesterdays post), a 5K recovery run in the park (weather: what the hail?), and another 60 min spin class at 1830. I was glad to hit the shower and heat up a bad-ass burrito after all that. And this morning the hammy was fine and RHR below normal. I can feel a BMI shift. Additionally, I am sleeping deeply and feeling a higher energy vibration. It's like life is concurrently brighter, more vivid, simple, more (somehow) sacred, complete, full. (It could be spring). So, so far-so good.

The great water debate moves into extra innings. Some circles say 1/2 your body weight in ounces per day, and others say actual weight in ounces. Here is an outline and formula. Bottom line, either way, you need to drink more (water).

For the country fans among you (and it seems that there are more than a few) the Miranda Lambert song I spun yesterday, "Kerosene" , has a rather incendiary video available for your viewing pleasure. As cautioned above, you might want to have a glass of water handy.

Start time for Sunday's 31st ANNUAL Toe Jam Half Marathon is noon. We'll use the green and yellow cones for course markings at turns and have one water station (passed twice) at the turn to Ft. Ward. Other than that you are on your own. So far we have both male and female champions returning from last year. They hydrate well.

Here is the link to The Sea Otter Classic that I will be attending next week. Stay tuned for daily updates from Monterrey. Beautiful blue salty water waves and tons of bike action.

It's not too late to get signed up for Bernie's Grand Adventure, aka Fun 101, our 365 mile ride around the Olympic Peninsula. May 2-6. Five days, motel accommodations and SAG. Cost is $100 plus food. A serious bargain. We'll carry your H20 for you.

Here is a link to the Ft. Warden State Park in Port Townsend. . On May 21, Sat, we'll ride up and camp in the park. Next morning is the XXXII Rhody Run. After the run we'll ride back to BI. I have one camp spot reserved. You can do it too. Don't forget to bring two water bottles.

Further down the road of spring and summer fun is the North Olympic Discovery Marathon, June 5. Full or Half. This year, because I have the time due to the CT RM1 delay, I am planning on the full, either as an official pacer or as an unofficial rabbit. We have been ramping towards both the Rhody Run and NODM in training so, I might as well get out there and test our hydration strategies at speed. Tonight is a 10K at marathon race pace. For those keeping score, Stephanie is on target to knock 35 minutes off her time of last year. Dedication, perseverance, a solid game plan and attention to detail will get those results. And we like hitting our goals, don't we?

If I can hit May 22 at 155 pounds, it will be water well spent.

(I can't get that song out of my head).

12 comments:

ej said...

hmmm, I'll have to check out Miranda's music. I imagine I'd rather lay than listen which I suppose is the point of her marketing efforts.

I thought I missed Toe Jam and rather dread the exercise. What happened to fun?

ej said...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thirdage.com/files/imagecache/350x350/files/miranda%2520lambert.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thirdage.com/news/miranda-lambert-announced-new-grammy-performer_1-14-2011&h=437&w=350&sz=139&tbnid=aLHtwsxlS4cDkM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=101&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmiranda%2Blambert%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=miranda+lambert&usg=__VOltpo3iTziwPmmIlcqG9-16btI=&sa=X&ei=cyOeTaeVKtKN0QH5neXBBA&ved=0CEQQ9QEwAg

KML5 said...

TJ is Sunday. It depends on your definition. I find it great fun. (but then again I also like the Dead)

ej said...

i think jackson browne had two wives that committed suicide. somehow this recollection had some connection to your comment...I guess I'll be running slow.

ej said...

or on empty.

KML5 said...

Not sure how you got to JB, BUT, he was also one of my faves. His first wife went that way. Prolific lyricist:

Into a dancer you have grown
From a seed somebody else has thrown
Go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own
And somewhere between the time you arrive
And the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive
But you'll never know

Makes me smile. Sunday at noon.

ej said...

yeah JB, great lyrics, he probably wrote that when he was 17. makes you believe in reincarnation.

KML5 said...

and karma

ej said...

yeah, and jb was always working those heavy ideas. I'm not sure who 'for a dancer' was. but he has a good sense of humor in my opinion and my favorite jb songs are on the lighter side, but those aren't many. heres a few lines from the pretender:
'I want to know what became of the changes we waited for love to bring
Were they only the fitful dreams of some greater awakening
I've been aware of the time going by, they say in the end it's the wink of an eye
And when the morning light comes streaming in
You'll get up and do it again, Amen'

Amen means I agree.

KML5 said...

I agree.

I met her in a crowded barroom
One of those typical Hollywood scenes
I was doing my very best Bogart
But I was having trouble getting into her jeans
I punched an unemployed actor
Defending her dignity
He stood up and knocked me through that barroom door
And that girl came home with me.

What guy cannot relate?

ej said...

yeah, but even when he's chasing skirt he's got some social commentary or critique going on as well so he can get heavier on his next album. Heres an example:

"Now your daddy’s in the den shootin’ up the evening news
Mama’s with a friend, lately she’s been so confused
Little one--..."

Now the Dead were so fried all they thought about was the melody.

KML5 said...

Vibe/groove. It's why we run. You feel it, or not. Cool, either way.