Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oi! Oi! Oi!





I was presented with this beautiful poem before class this morning. I tucked it into my bag and went about the business at hand. Ninety high intensity minutes later we were done. Sipping a cup of joe afterwards I reached for it and read:




AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN FIVE SHORT
By Portia Nelson

I
I walk down the street. There is a deep hole the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost…I am helpless, it isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

II

I walk down the same street,
there is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in the same place. But it isn't my fault. It still takes time to get out.

III
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it there. I still fall in…It's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

IV
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

V

I walk down another street.

That other street is called awareness. Leave the easy path to the weak. We will climb mountains and run hills, the path of challenge, of change, of growth and of meaning. That road is the goal. Move towards the light, one footstrike or pedal rotation at a time. Embrace the process. Keep your butt out of that deep hole in the sidewalk. Such an appropriate metaphor (on so many levels).

Thank you Paula for the kind words and reminder. We'll get there.

Pix: Kate and Macca running down that other street in Kona last October. Oi!

No comments: