Friday, April 1, 2011

No Foolin'



April. I will resist temptation to traverse the path of the prank. No fooling today. We got that out of the way yesterday. Today begins the third round of training and testing in the House of Mirth, the cycling studio formerly known as The House of Pain. (And just for the sake of the backstory has anybody read Edith Wharton's heterograph?) I am wondering if I am, however unwittingly, channeling Ned Silverton.

Protocols for the April test (abstract): To document the effects of high intensity multi-sport training when fueled by a predominantly low glycemic mix of carbohydrate from vegetable sources.

In order to answer the question: Will the LGI diet provide adequate fueling for endurance training and reduce excess body fat without cannibalizing lean muscle mass?

I have asked around, done the Google-Fu and visited the sites of the most well respected registered dietitians and board certified sports nutritionists. They all say the same thing: Hummmm, sounds good, but have no data to share.

In thirty-one days we will. I feel it important that we also introduce three other influencing factors as variables. One, I am already vegetarian, so the switch to LGI might not be as profound or dramatic as someone who takes this step currently habitualized by a traditional western, affluent diet. Two, I am closer to 60 than 50 years of age, and three I am starting from a fairly high fitness level, low body fat and currently in peak phase triathlon training. All this COULD mean that the results COULD be subtle. Or not. Guess that's why we are dong it.

And that's all OK. At least we are pushing the R&D, testing and training and trying something different. The courage to initiate change. I like the sound of that.

So here we go. Yesterday I did my fourth CompuTrainer BAC15 TT to establish a power base. Average wattage for the 15 miles was 249.5 with a 3.2 power-to-weight ratio. I begin the test at 158 pounds and 12% body fat. After a chiropractic adjustment and six hours of recovery I ran a 23:33 5K, at recovery (easy) pace. Dr. Malik's health workshop kept me up a touch later than normal and I was deep into REM by 10:30. This morning at 0430 I had a delicious red grapefruit and two cups of french roast. One of the several take-aways from Dr. Malik's superb presentation was that we should be drinking 1/2 our body weight per day of water in ounces. That means almost 80 ounces for this slacker. That is 6.5 12 oz water bottle servings. WOW. Glad I got the well fixed!

Today's workout is a return to the monster I call The Big Lap Deuce, a four miler around Battle Point Park featuring the Tolo and Arrow Point climbs, twice. I will fuel with LGI carbs prior and sup with a few Honey Stingers out the door. Post workout is soy protein with flax, bran and banana with tonight's main entree being yams, broccoli and cauliflower. Snacks are apples, pears and cashews. Plus that water. Being it April 1 I might have a beer too.

Day one. April. No fooling.

Pix: Dr. Malik with his beautiful Trek at right, Dr. Duggal, center and Josh after the workshop. An unusual angle to see the CompuTrainer in action, not even the RCVman has used a fish eye lens from below. From the Ironcladcoaching.com site. Bravo Zulu!

No comments: