Monday, April 18, 2011

Just beginning


The real work begins. Downloading nine hours of video shot over the last four days at the 21st Sea Otter Classic. From what I have seen so far, it is going to be worth every sore lumbar, hyper-extended elbow, lost credit card and overpriced burrito.

I am starting with the Pro Ladies Circuit race because as expected it is the cream of the crop. The shake process has another couple of hours and then I will start the Kung Fu. The interview with Olympic Medalist and Overall SOC Women's Champion Kristin Armstrong will be included. She is a very generous and outgoing interview despite the all the paparazzi clamor and demands on her time.

Which takes us to today's post-event theme. The 2011 SOC take-away.

HUMBLE.

Watching the Pros, Elites, Masters, U-23s and everybody else out there for four days was truly inspiring. It relights the flames. I stand in awe at the composure, talent and skill demonstrated. Courage, risk, the absolute thrill of the ride and required acumen to compete. It's not for everybody, but for those who go and do, it is everything. I am humbled by this.

I hope that some, maybe a tenth, of the images brought back will inspire the same in you. I will try my best to frame the inspiration and energy so that it stands the best chance of doing so.

I have also decided that I want to be around long enough to witness the breaking of the two hour marathon record. Much like Sir Roger Bannister and his four minute mile, today in Boston Geoffrey Mutai whittled it down to 2:02:o3. In comparison, my PR is 3:18 (on that same course). The winner of my AG went 2:40 today. Humble.

Here are a few closing links from SOC:

Tony DeBoom's Endurance Conspiracy organic T's, and,
ClubRideApparel. I love these two designer/manufacturers and their fine products.

Pix: Humble looks at the setting sun at Marina State Park. We are getting faster by doing.

Keep moving, the real work is just beginning.

No comments: