Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter

I was the first person on the first boat. Mission was to get into Seattle at first light and shoot the Seattle Urban Time Trial course with as little traffic and traffic light interference as possible. Nothing destroys a TT faster than coming to a complete stop to obey a red light. We were staged and ready at 6:15 and away we sped (the plural here represents the three of us: Me, my camera and my bike). Down a deserted 5th Ave under fairly decent defused light to QWest and Saefco Fields and then back up via 1s Ave, Pioneer Square to Broad St. and back to the start/finish. The First Ave route is a change due to the obnoxiousness of Alaskan Way street lights which feel the need to change colors every five seconds. It went well, the 28 minutes for the five miles is rendering. I think this one is a keeper, and it's only just the start. Once we add overhead cams, the car cam and capture high-rez stills for cutaways, not to mention putting a 10K Cervelo under me in a full JLRacing team kit, and I really like the prospects. REALLY.



As several people have been sending Easter greetings, I decided to share this little story with you all instead of only my running pals. Happy Easter.


I was on assignment working for the DoD in the Indian Ocean. The Chaplain on base was a pretty serious runner so we got along well. For his Catholic Easter Service he asked me if I could come up with something special. We decided that we would erect two giant canopies on the pier facing into the sunrise, and assemble the chairs and portable altar that would be framed by potted palm trees, silk banners and purple and white balloons. He thought that would be great and my crews went to work on Holy Saturday. Early the next morning I was on the pier taking care of last minute business (we had to run a 250' extension cord for the organist) when the servicemen and women and contractor personnel started to arrive. It was going to be SRO, so I called for some additional rolls to go along with the post service coffee and juice. It was still dark when the Chaplain and his entourage arrived and they were ecstatic over their stage. The skies started to lighten in the typical magical fashion unique to seven degrees South of the Equator as a hush fell over the overflowing congregation. The only sound was that of the fairy terns floating angelically overhead. No wind, no waves, not a sound. There were 500 people shoulder to shoulder and the stillness was complete as the sun peeked one eye over the horizon, sending a translucent glimmering gold ray into that part of the sky still dark, dotted with diamonds. And then another ray, and another until it looked as if we missed the date by a few months and the day was actually the Fourth of July instead of Easter. As the sun made it to half way and sunglasses we coming down, the Chaplain moved to the center of the altar, to address the crowd. We had rehearsed the EQ on the PA to perfection, so I knew this was going to be a powerful moment. I will never forget the chills and the joyous epiphany I felt when my friend the running Chaplain, exclaimed, with a strong voice filled with love, empathy and hope:

He is risen.

Pix: (T2B) You can grab shots like this when you are the first person aboard the 0520 ferry on Easter. The start/finish line of the Seattle UTT at 5th and Mercer. Special bike parking for the RCVman on the WSF Wenatchee. Thanks and Amen.

5 comments:

ej said...

wow, you ought to start selling these. i'm still thinking about the possibility of retiring at 100 with my boston bonus.

KML5 said...

Selling the video? That is the plan, I, unlike you, cannot wait another 52 years to collect my dough from Boston. And please don's use that period of time as an excuse to delay your training any longer, sir.

KML5 said...

Oooops, I just did the math, make that 41 years. Still.....

ej said...

no, i was talking about your easter story. your writing is getting good. videos aren't bad but no enough candid interviews. so long as there is $2 million i don't care if you get your money first.

KML5 said...

Damn, I thought we were on to something with the videos.....The only way my writing is going to improve is to hire an editor, and I can't do that until I win Boston when I'm 100.