Friday, April 8, 2011

All You Need is Love

There is an old runners adage suggesting if you cannot have a conversation while running (especially long) you are running too fast. In recent years heart rate monitors have converted this to more science than lore. When the monitor starts beeping, slow down. When it starts beeping at the low range, shut up and speed up. In our group there is a talker and a non-talker. Please notice that I didn't say talker and listener. One of these days I will set a record for words per mile. I even talk to myself when I train solo. I am quite sure there exists a good number of people (and several dogs) who consider this peculiar. So be it.

I was asked last night, innocently enough, how April's "Low glycemic - High intensity" diet was progressing. As we plodded along in the windy park, slugging out a sub race pace 10K, I began a verbose, circumlocutious response.

I could have left it at, I don't know, or too early to tell, but that is only good for about ten feet of tale time, so I took advantage of the distance to explore the circumstance with a (perhaps over) zealous and ambiguous narrative.

There are variables galore. I think I need to isolate a few in order to properly answer your (innocent) question.

Such as, is what I think I heard in response from the non-talker.

Such as: The diet by itself isn't that radical a departure form my norm so that any results are going to be subtle. I have been meatless for twenty years, off milk since 1974 and avoid saturated fat, HFCS*, sugar, and junk like I avoid political correctness. As it is playing out, the major change is the elimination of white bread, refined flour, processed cereals and grains, white rice and potatoes.

I think I detected a hummmm from the non-talker.

Sensing interest, I continued. (I would have continued even without the sensing). The robust addition of fruits and vegetables has created a new energy mix that I can definitely feel, because they are now dominant instead of merely supportive. Beans, legumes, green leafy veggies are all common, as are vitamin rich and calorie dense reds, yellows and deep greens. It's cooking with colors.

Cute.

I still eat bread, but only whole grain, dark, organic and crusty. I haven't used butter since Carter was in office. Kamut has replaced Cheerios and quinoa rice. Yams are my new potatoes. Snacks are celery, apples, oranges and carrots. Lots of berries and nuts. I like nuts.

Of course.

And water. TONS more water, excuse me, hogsheads more.

Hugh?

A hogshead is 63 gallons. Concurrently I have cut back on coffee, adding Oolong tea in the afternoon, an herb known to have inflammation healing properties. Together creating a low glycemic insulin regulating mix of nutrients, branch chain amino acids, proteins, complex carbohydrate and necessary fats. I think this fuel mixture is lean enough, the real question is one of octane. Is there enough to get me through the rigours of this exercise program?

And?

Well, so far-so good. You have been along for most of the runs, you know the demands of these wonderful hills, you know what the gas gauge does when we stomp on it for speed repeats. You sit in on the HoM spin sessions. You know the load. They have been constants on my schedule for almost a quarter of a century. To quote Lennon, I Feel Fine. A couple of endurance tests are coming right up, so they will be excellent proving grounds for all this. I think it can be done.

Nothing you can do that can't be done.

Pardon?

Lennon. All you need is Love.

Ah, yes. EXACTLY. That is another part. Stress management. I am sleeping well, recovering fast and healing stronger. Perhaps as a result of Yoga. Maybe the weekly massage. Maybe I am in less pain because of the regular chiropractic visits. All these variables. All of them good ones. Endorphins, dopamine, malbec.

Hah.

So all this taken together, the diet, the training, the massage, the quality rest and recovery time, the manipulation of the structural foundation, high-intensity maximal HR intervals, quiet meditative time in front of the fire, hogsheads of water, extra-firm tofu and a profound feeling of gratitude, makes it hard to isolate the primary factor to answer your question. Which was again?

I forgot, but we're done with the workout.

OK. Thanks, Nice work. Talk to you later.

Of that I am convinced. Bye.


Pix: The slate is cleaned of March to make way for April's run times. Neighbor Paul showing off his new Specialized 29er purchased on E-Bay for a song (Nothing you can sing that can't be sung).

*high fructose corn syrup

5 comments:

ej said...

"And I will tune my spirit to the gentle sound
I want to hear the sound
Of the waters lapping on a higher ground
Of the children laughing"

-Jackson Browne

KML5 said...

OK, but we gotta move along here. JB would agree:

Some of them were angry
At the way the earth was abused
By the men who learned how to forge her beauty into power
And they struggled to protect her from them
Only to be confused
By the magnitude of the fury in the final hour
And when the sand was gone and the time arrived
In the naked dawn only a few survived
And in attempts to understand a thing so simple and so huge
Believed that they were meant to live after the deluge

ej said...

before the deluge. Its just that I never looked at JB lyrics in print before. Its pretty interesting. I have, however, seen him in concert five times and know a few of these tunes.

"early one morning the sun was shining... and I was a layin in bed, wondering if she had changed at all, if her hair was still red." There are some I don't have to look up though.

KML5 said...

Very cool. Leave for class with this one:

It's like you're standing in the window
Of a house nobody lives in
And I'm sitting in a car across the way
(Let's just say)
It's an early model Chevrolet
(Let's just say)
It's a warm and windy day
You go and pack your sorrow
The trash man comes tomorrow
Leave it at the curb and we'll just roll away

Was inspired by this thread to add another JB tune to set list for today's 90 in the HoM. You will have to show up to here which one. Hope to see ya there.

ej said...

thats a good one too. and that thunder song. forgot about it, what a great one. gotta love the thunder.