Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bread for Bike


Beautiful Spring day here in the GPNW. I feel a little guilty about doing 90 minutes in the HoM this morning and now sitting in front of the Mac, so I'll try to be succinct. We'll call it Succinct Saturday.

I took yesterday off. After five straight training days, four of them double sessions, my legs were lead. Could have slugged out a late afternoon run but it would have been very wet and I would as a result not have had the freshness to attack the way we did this morning for the 90 minutes of high intensity spinning. I will tell you what, at about four, when we usually do our evening runs, I was wanting to get out there really, really bad, (in equestrian circles they call this chomping at the bit), but I resisted the jones and chose to sit by the fire and read. This is a fairly decent example of what we mean by training smart. Did I want to slug out a sloppy 5K and not have juice for the 90 this morning, or allow additional recovery time and kill it today?

That is the intro. The payoff follows. As I settled into the cabin's warmth, feet elevated and toasty, my favorite chair perfectly positioned to accept both fire and light, I eagerly opened the new arrival from Amazon.com. As many of you know yesterday was "Official" Day One of the LGI diet for the month of April. In researching the subject I stumbled upon a work by my old friend Joe Friel. His book, along with co-author PhD Loren Cordain, is called The Paleo Diet for Athletes. I had it one-clicked and en-route in sixteen seconds (used, paperback and local).

Remembering Dr. Malik's advice I filled a glass with water (added limes to the shopping list) and settled in for a quick chapter or two.

Cradling the book with my right I thumbed through fanning pages to become indoctrinated with the layout and feel. Sometimes with works like this one can start in the middle as quite often the first few chapters are redundant. I KNOW what they are going to say as preface. I am looking for specific data, the needle in the haystack, chrysopoeia, GOLD.

The fanning stopped on the page entitled: Chapter Seven: Overtraining and Diet.

Grinning like a fool, I put the book down and went to stir the pea soup, glad that I had opted to recover, rest, hydrate and refuel.

####

Mimi has come up with a spectacular idea to combine our two favorites. After an incredible year of consistent and focused spinning she now wants to ride outside. One problem. No bike. So she is offering loaves of her wonderful home baked bread (I will post the options next week) to fund the purchase of a new ride. I was proud to be the first to buy and happy to promote such a grand scheme (even if the bread is medium GI). Loaves are $8 and if you want one (every week) simply respond by using the comments tab below. I might even deliver with zero carbon emissions!

Pix: Loaf One on my table (in front of autographed jersey from Ironman Champions Steven and Bella Bayliss. That is the 'Bread for Bike" hook. My French pea soup with cremini boats (wait till Mimi's bread gets dipped tonight!!!). Recipe on Monday.

Enjoy the Ride.

6 comments:

ej said...

the house of mirth, formerly known as the the house of pain...great one. :)

ej said...

ps - i forgot..i'll sign up for loaves!

KML5 said...

We were forced to do a brand re-set for two reasons: We finally understood that pain is necessary to improve and, two, once pain (in the form of training output) is embraced it is no longer pain, but mirth.

Mimi is going to end up with a really cool, fast, carbon fiber bike. Once she cleans my clock on a ride, I will officially quit coaching and take up baking. I'm quite sure there's more bread in it.

ej said...

I am writing a cook/diet book on the side. It will have great photos and promise the world. I'm no fool. Kind of like this but better photos: http://www.fourhourbody.com/

KML5 said...

Yes, Mr. Ferriss was featured last week in the Sunday NY Times. My neighbor Frankie brought the section over with a note, "Thought you might find this guy interesting."

I checked him out for thirty seconds and used the paper to start my fire.

99% marketing, 1% reality. I do like his site however.

ej said...

yeah, if you look at Ferriss' wikipedia bio it appears to be so much bull. Con artist in my opinion. Pop Culture author and topic of the moment. He can retire at 60; so much the better.

This past Friday, I sat next to the author of "Sideways", Rex Pickett, at a Santa Monica restaurant and talked to him for quite a while along with his writing partner, an african-american woman named Pamela. The guy semi-failed at everything he tried so he decided to write a comic-tragic novel about his current life. viola, success.