Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Scofield Five







Dateline: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 0709. Friday, Sept. 19. 2008. There's the here and now. Now some then and there.

I am nervous and anxious about the Kona DVD. No need to say anything other than simply mention artists remorse. I now wish I had taken another approach. If somebody (anybody) goes to iTunes or Amazon.com after watching the music credits roll, and buys a couple of the songs, I will be happy. As should they. Nuff said for now.

On way to Park City, UT by way of SLC. It has been eight years since my last visit, back in the PJ Walter days of advance photog work for the then coming 2002 Winter Games to be staged there. We are doing another off race day shoot of a boutique course designed by Pro Triathlete Marcel Vifian www.marcelvifian.com, and hosted by RD Burke Priest. We are supposed to have about 20 strong riders for the Saturday at 10am shoot on a spectacular relentlessly climbing 40 miles or so. We'll shoot from the car, I'll direct the ride and Burke will drive. Afterwards at Burke's cabin we will debut the "For Those Who Race" DVD. It's kinda like Sundance and I am the only entry. Hope I don't take second place.

All for now as Group B is about to board SWA flight 1530 to SLC. Please no rain.

SLC. Nice. 74 degrees. Sunshine. Just rammed some onion rings and a salad (the only meatless items on the Wingers Menu) and sit waiting for Burke. We will head up to his cabin in Scofield and get set up for the big ride tomorrow. I have tiny KIA something or other, so that will be the shoot car. Haven't heard anything from Sarah at One Stop so I might start to assume that all is a go on the DVD. One of my notes on the flight out was to source out a crash course on Soundtrack Pro or Garage Band so I can (finally) do my own music as scores and not have to fret over, or attempt to justify the use of OPM *. Yes, finally.

And, here is the good news, after this shoot, I am off until Kona. That means I can run and bike and maybe even swim to my legs, lungs and hearts content for 15 consecutive days!!!! Whoa baby, the joy! Then, not wanting to rain on a training parade, we should be able to get in a few runs in Hawaii so that:

When we restart the fall/winer spin class the Monday morning after late return Sunday night from Kona, I might even have some type of a fitness streak happening. Because I need it. There has been WAY too many French Slams, greasy Onion Rings and morning muffins and not enough HIT sessions the last SEVEN MONTHS. But that is what I signed on for and I wouldn't trade on day of that for the world. Except maybe Placid and the rains of course.

Sunday Morning at SLC airport awaiting return flight to Seattle. The shoot went gangbusters. As advertised the 40 miles was as beautiful as anything I have seen in quite a wile. A collection of nice rollers, a few 8-9% climbs, a flat 6 to start and all along a desolate and smooth road that passes aspens, birch, evergreens, streams, lakes, beaver dams, canyons and the the benign copper canyon coal mine operation. On a non-race Saturday morning we passed, or were passed by less than a dozen cars and/or trucks. It was a beautiful out and back ride. The five riders were led by Marcel Vifian, who designed the bike and swim legs and holds the course record from this years inaugural event at 3:30, including 1:45 on the bike leg. Yesterday the five riders, including another a Pro Triathlete, a female former Pro, a Cat 2 roadie and the publisher of Tri-Hive Magazine www.TriHive.com, did the 40 miles in 2:20, a casual and smooth ride. We looked at the video back at Burke's cabin on the lake afterwards and ogled at the colors and definition. Looks like it'll be a keeper. Later we showed "For Those Who Race" on a beautiful 52" LCD at Burke's neighbor's and it absolutely sizzled on screen. I was very happy. Some people even got the ending scene punch line, imagine that!

I am going to try in the ensuing 14 days before Kona to burn the Scofield folks a DVD of the ride and the subsequent interviews for their promotional purposes. This is one cool event gang, a small (500) local race that is simply for the joy of racing. It is 90 minutes from the SLC airport, up in the hills where cell phones are useless, and hosted by a group of locals who love what they do. The swim is from an island in the lake, the bike leg rivals any course anywhere and the run tops off one of three distances. In a few days we might be able to post proof that this course is the real deal. It'll rock your legs and roll your heart, all the time forcing a smile to face and song to soul. It is that fun!!! But, hey, don't take my word for it, gimme a couple of days, and I'll SHOW you. Hang tight till then folks. The leaves on the trees are changing colors, we are down to one more event on the RCV calendar. I have enough footage in the can to last ten editors all winter. There is some great stuff there. I still need to find a way to push the production. More than me getting the product to market, it's more that YOU DESERVE TO SEE THIS STUFF!!

And The Scofield Triathlon www.scofieldtriathlon.com should be at the top of that list!!! Thanks for the opportunity boys, I had a blast.

Flight is boarding. ciao a presto

Photos, top to bottom and left to right, and a PS:
First three to the summit, Marcel, Heath and Mike.
The days crew: Mike, Marcel, RD (and all around good guy) Burke Priest, Heath, Kelsey and Alex.
A cool B&W of Marcel with the valley behind.
The valley in color.

PS: I am downloading the video as we type and I think it is good enough to go straight to DVD without a ton of work in post, so I am still holding out for a pre-Kona release for the Scofield Five. It looks great (and we're only to the tavern!!!!)

No comments: