Monday, September 29, 2008

Paul



My top five Paul Newman roles. There is a lot of room for disagreement here mostly because of his huge volume of work and the quality of each. A true professional, consummate actor, and a rare altruistic humanitarian. From just one of your many fans, RCVman says thank you and rest in peace.

The Sting:

Johnny Hooker: He's not as tough as he thinks.
Henry Gondorff: Neither are we.

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid:

Butch Cassidy: If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Cool Hand Lukc:

Luke: Anybody here? Hey, Old Man. You home tonight? Can You spare a minute. It's about time we had a little talk. I know I'm a pretty evil fellow... killed people in the war and got drunk... and chewed up municipal property and the like. I know I got no call to ask for much... but even so, You've got to admit You ain't dealt me no cards in a long time. It's beginning to look like You got things fixed so I can't never win out. Inside, outside, all of them... rules and regulations and bosses. You made me like I am. Now just where am I supposed to fit in? Old Man, I gotta tell You. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginning to get to me. When does it end? What do You got in mind for me? What do I do now? Right. All right.
[Gets on knees, closes eyes and begins to pray]

The Color of Money:

Eddie Felson: You're some piece of work... You're also a natural character.
Vincent Lauria: [to Carmen] You see? I been tellin' her that. I got natural character.
Eddie Felson: That's not what I said, kid. I said you *are* a natural character; you're an incredible flake.
[Vincent's smile fades; Eddie continues]
Eddie Felson: But that's a *gift*. Some guys spend half their lives trying to invent something like that. You walk into a pool room with that go-go-go, the guys'll be *killing* each other, trying to get to you. You got that... But I'll tell you something, kiddo. You couldn't find Big Time if you had a road map.

Sometimes a Great Notion:

Hank Stamper: Well, good luck.
Willard Eggleston: [amazed at his apathy] Good luck?
Hank Stamper: Well, yeah, Willard. Now, you have to admit, it's better than "best wishes" or "bon voyage," so take it how I'm givin' it to you. Good luck, Willard!

No comments: