Monday, April 21, 2014

Day one-ten


It has been five months. Kona was October. It is now the end of April. I am finally prepping for another road trip, this one to Austin, TX.

To say that there has been change would be like saying that Meb can run, his blazing 2:08 today in Boston, emphasis on the point.

For if you want something bad enough, you will make the necessary change to bring the goal into consciousness daily.

For runners, that means running, swimmers…..you know the rest. It is an exercise physiology principle known as specificity. Do what you do. Do it faster, harder and sometimes longer in practice, in training, so when the big day finally rolls around, you embody the magical synergy of confidence and capability.

You walk the walk, run the run, sprint the sprint.

I have been thinking of late about all this as metaphor. Is this what we do in life as well? Or is this life itself? Is racing proxy for self awareness? Is training that part of our soul seeking validation through effort? Is the need to compete hard-wired in our DNA?

I have the unusual opportunity to assist and augment this training and racing component. I get to film the medium, the course, the hills and the athletes upon them as they go about their race preparations. Somedays even on race day when emotion is captured like lightening alongside the thunder of the spectacle.

Austin will be a tune up for the triathlon season that lies just ahead. I anticipate a summer full of color, speed and drama.

I had almost forgotten how much I like packing my gear.

No comments: