Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day one-oh-two and out


As 'colors' plays from across the still waters of Agate Pass, I muster for the final time here. It is a glorious morning, April 13. I will be leaving tonight. I have manned this station for thirty years, finding solace, release, joy and peace. There has been good times and some sad. There has been growth, change, struggle and challenge. Looking back, I will simply echo a now cliche line from a Dead standard and express with awe at what a long strange trip it has been.

But it's over. The time has come to move along, re-set, and trot down another dusty road. I am OK with it. I think perhaps the dead end I worked myself into, eventually solving via a sale, with provide a cathartic response. I was truly amazed at all the pieces to this puzzle that I accumulated over the years and, I suppose to my credit, the stories, history and emotional attachments to each. A book, a stamp, a t-shirt, photo, coffee mug, CD all quickly and without prolix, replayed their connection in time to me a final time. An encore to an appreciative audience of one, standing, smiling, laughing.

I have this day. There remains a lot to do, but Bill is benevolent in this change of command, granting 'as long as it takes' to finalize the load out. I feel responsible for making the transition as clean as possible, but to detail a structure that has been targeted as a tear-down, seems a bit anal. There remains piles of wood, used tile, slabs of marble, glass and firewood. They come with the dirt and trees.

I am shutting down mobile operations here in the trailer to pack and relocate over to Michael & Kim's, my halfway house for the summer. It will be fun to spend more time with Junior as both Mom & Dad commute to work, your basic win-win. I hope.

I may find that a space to call my own is important.

Even if that space is leaking, falling down and in decay.

Here we go then, we hit the ground running and get 'er done. This must happen, done today. We have started and we will finish.

After taps plays tonight, we're outta here, waking tomorrow in another space to another trip most likely of equal or greater strangeness and hopefully with a bit more time. Every minute counts.

Dismissed.

No comments: