Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day one-oh-one



As much as my lower back hurts, there remains a ton to do. It is almost five. We started early this glorious Saturday with ninety minutes of hill repeats. Each one five minutes in duration, standing at about 80%. A scant two minute break between.
It was demanding. It challenged. There was sweat. But by keeping focus on the flow, eyes on every prize, and with a lot of inspiration from teammates, we made it.

I had the opportunity to tell the story of the Canadian Honkers as antidote. You know the reason they honk when airborne in chevron formation?

To cheer each other on. It is the honk that keeps the formation tight, the speed right and the distance covered. They are talking to each other, providing encouragement and moral support. The captain gets to bark every once in a while for emphasis, but largely it is up to each and every wingman to pull his or her weight, and that of one other. The buddy system at a thousand feet.

I guess a goose bumper sticker might say, "Honk if you dig teamwork."

One more day on the farm. We used to call this spot the Cabin in the Woods. Tonight will be my last sleep here and after a final full day of cleaning tomorrow, I officially turn the keys over to Bill and his clan. I am going to write one last time on the strairway wall wishing them welcome.

It has been fun. We had some magical moments. The cabin is so empty right now that it echos inside. I need to finish this strong. Stay focused. Stay present.

I could use a honk.

No comments: