Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day one-oh-six


I am finding more and more value in the principal of addition by subtraction.

Most recent examples being the just recently completed down-scaling of my worldly possessions and my new found affinity for our bread & butter indoor cycling drill, the 2x20.

As I sit with only a laptop and one backpack of clothes (mostly workout gear) I find a new minimalist harmony in the loss of anxiety over all the care, maintenance, storage, use, or direction of the thousand things that once comprised my 'kingdom'. Yes, I always took great satisfaction in having the one part (a 1/4 threaded CPVC coupler) in the shed when needed, but trying to stock a complete hardware store over thirty years created somewhat of an inventory nightmare. Problem solved.

The 2x20 set, twenty minutes at 85% of FTP twice, with a five minute break between, provides double value as it creates the mind/body opportunity. One gets the physical bennies as well as the mental. I truly enjoy settling into the zone and putting stready-state relaxed focus into play. With the opportunity to singularly isolate the task at hand by eliminating noise and distraction at the very top of the benefit list.

Addition by subtraction, two examples. Maybe there are two in your life you could share.

Enjoy the ride.

No comments: