Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day ninety-five, P1

I am going to try something different today. The Day ninety-five post will have two parts, a before and after if you will. Part One is right now as I start the day.

I feel good. I feel excited about the prospects of today. There will be lot of work. Heavy lifting again moving to/from the storage unit and the dump. Yesterday I had a minor bonk around 1700, so today I will keep a careful eye on nutrition and electrolites. The plan is for ten hours. This is my last full day before closing to get it done. I will even forgo coffee until the first load is delivered. The forecast calls for clouds and drizzle. I will meet that with focus and ceaseless activity. There is the game plan. It is 0730.

GO.

Part II.

STOP.

I fell a few minutes short of the target but it wasn't entirely my fault. The fine, generous, all-volunteer staff in the Ace Hardware parking lot tirelessly manning the Goodwill operation ran out of room in their shipping container. I was there with a full pickup load of goodies, including my entire wardrobe, but they had packed their container about as full you can. I dropped off the boxes in the storage unit and filled the truck one more time, to be ready for tomorrow morning. The cabin has been gutted, nothing but bones and some gristle. I have started on the tool section and should be able to get the kitchen, half-bath and old studio cleaned out in a day. Then it's odds and ends, some I am sure Bill won't mind too much if I throw them in as part of the deal.

So we're done for the day. A solid nine. My lower back is a little sore and there were some moments of dizziness, but it went well. No blood, no tears, just a lot of sweat.

I am down to a handful of days in the place that I have called home for thirty years. I made this mess and I will clean it up. In some circles this is known as closure.

Regardless of that outcome, it will be an interesting final drive down my dirt road.

I say 'interesting' because 'gut-wrenching and heart-breaking' are just too melodramatic for my tastes these days.

But we'll soon see.


No comments: