Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It's no secret

I'll admit it. I like commentary. I like metaphor and I like opinion and analysis. I like listening to smart people talk and happy people sing. I like positives. I am a sucker for motivational messages and inspirational activities. I was reminded of that this morning as we executed a series of high output sprints, climbs and sweet-spot pushes. The groove was on and the watts were high. There is nothing like an hour of training in the darkness of a late winter morning. We agreed to the positive.


Thirty-two grams of protein and two mugs of Italian roast later we set sail for the day's adventure. There is lots to do. I need to dial it up. The first day of spring is in three weeks. We have already completed the first event on our seasonal schedule. It is here and it is now. I have no complaints or remorse. We are on schedule. With the exception of my still recovering hamstrings and vastus lateralis, the winter has been productive. My power is up, weight steady. If the phone rings in twenty seconds inviting a race this weekend, I would accept, gladly and eagerly. Is there room for improvement? Is it perfect? Maxed? Yes, no and no. And that is OK. We are on schedule. I remain highly motivated.


The commentary I reference is to the ways and means that we accomplish our objectives, achieve our goals and aspire to the betterment of our protocols. You know, the have fun while doing it idea. We used to call it healthy life-style choices. At the elite level of triathlon it is known as living the dream. I mentioned this morning that I would love to have one massage per week. The Pros get one a day. You have to earn this wonderful soreness. If you don't work, and work hard, you never get the complete physical satisfaction of feeling your muscles in the state of repair. That is the growth process and while it takes a few times to get accustomd to the ache, after a while you go in search of it. It is a empirical reminder of the nature of adaptation. With rest and recovery your body will repair itself stronger and ready for more.


This is a big part of training. For racing purposes we don't train for stasis. We don't do this to burn calories and manage stress. We do this to induce failure, breakdown muscle fiber and expand oxygen delivery systems in order to push the agenda of adaptation and growth. To get stronger and develop additional power. When I am in training I don't care about cholesterol, heart rate, blood pressure, immune systems or anything other than doing what is necessary to improve my power to weight ratio. All of those are included in the latter by default (thankfully).


It is interesting to witness others go through this extraordinary process. Because the same methodology is used for each. If you want optimal health and fitness, make some (several) health life-style choices, show up regularly, and work your butt of. And that is no metaphor.


There is the secret. Now you know. One day (and probably soon) there will be a Pay-Pal hyperlink between me telling you the secret and insisting that you become a "Platinum Level" VBAer ($9.95 might get me back in the good graces of my former bank) and having access to it. There I will share the same stuff, with detail. You already know what it is. So, please,


Do it.


Here is some great stuff for the cycling data heads. And here is a detailed white paper on many important aspects of cycle training. Upon reading both, you may have some take-away commentary. An opinion or two. Please share your secrets and have a great day.

No comments: