Saturday, February 18, 2012

Every sonata includes rests






A few Saturday updates.


Yesterday was an off-day. That included here. As perhaps you may have noticed. I took the entire day to rest and recover, to give my frail and painfully tight hamstrings a rare opportunity to relax and rebuild stronger. Here is the detail of my workouts from yesterday: Swimming 0, biking: 0, running: 0, Yoga: 0, weights: 0. I did eat and I did shop. I took a nap on the couch by the fire and went to bed at a ridiculously early hour. While on the couch I listened to Chopin and in bed I read McCarthy. When I awoke this morning I felt like Doc Holiday, ready to rock and roll. Ye-spurs-a-jangling-haw.


The tech shopping included a few items sure to raise smiles in the HoM. First are the new vertical bike racks to improve floor space and practice good house keeping. Second is the new matching big screen so we can now display data AND video almost larger than life. I hope to have the upgrades up by next week, prior to the start of Madness in March.


For which, as a relevant segue, the brackets will be posted Monday. All 22 group members will be included in the bracketing. I will determine the HoM mean FTP number and match teams as close to that average as possible. One person will be appointed team captain because scheduling for this is going to be a legitimate nightmare. We will be "lenient" in allowing substitutes. I will have the prizes lined up by next week. They will be cool. If anyone knows someone who might like to contribute to the event in exchange for all this LA-like traffic and NY-like promotion, please let me know. As an example, I would really like to see this become the ALASKA AIRLINES Madness in March Indoor Cycling Tournament at the Bainbridge Athletic Club. Let me worry about how to fit all that on a T-shirt!


Tomorrow we have a full house as we ride all 112 miles of the Ironman Canada bike course. Start time is 0930. Our second assault at this will include the official CompuTrainer Real Course Video, automatically changing grade in perfect sync with the video. If you were ever in doubt as to how I earned my blog handle, blog d' plume, this is about as titular as it gets.


Lastly, next Saturday, the day before Chilly Hilly (when you should be in taper) we will show the CH video shot three years ago during the 90 minute spin. Just to prime the pump. Riders that day were, among others, long time VBAers Ace, Bernie, Stephanie, Vicky, Mike and Tony. And yes, weather permitting, I will be filming again next Sunday as well as riding. As we say in this business, the helmet cam is always on.


Rest day is over. Back to work.


Pix: A scene lifted from the IMC RCV shoot in 2008 of Yellow Lake. Sometimes you feel somewhat less than a super hero at this juncture. The 2009 Chilly Hilly DVD covers, front and back.

No comments: