Thursday, February 9, 2012

HuMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Thanks for all your cards, letters, e-mails and posts about my poor, poor pitiful state of leg health. The right semimembranosis is still cramping, especially at night, but the left patellar tendinitis seems to be healing a touch faster. I am hobbled, paying close attention to each step, pedal rotation and foot placement. Fortunately, I have been able to spin, albeit at a lower power level, and haven't missed a class since the painful racing incident last Friday night. Tuesday through Thursday are my big days with classes in the am and again at night. They are serious tests of concentration as I refuse to let up out of respect for the participants. You think I am going to wimp out on YOU simply because I am not 100%? AGH (Ain't Gonna Happen).

As a result of this, perhaps stubborn attitude, I was further inspired and impressed by a few events and comments that took place over the course of the last three sessions. Namely:

1) Yesterday morning's 0530 HoM session was the infamous terrible twos, in honor of the month we currently enjoy, basically a quick romp through all we do: speed, leg strength, core strength, climbs, sweet spot sit, sweet spot stand, 15/15 intervals alternating seated and standing. No breaks. Sixty minutes. Oh, and we even toss in the water drill as if all those deuces aren't enough. As I have now endured eight days of the no beer-no glutens diet it was rewarding to hear one of the guys in the locker room after the twos comment, "Look, he's got a six-pack." The full irony of this is still causing periodic chuckles.

2) Yesterday afternoon we staged the first round of FTP training. This is where the work begins. It is not racing, it is not going as hard as you can, it is not a class, it is not even remotely entertaining. It is work, holding a fixed wattage for 40 minutes. After the warm up and intro I set the CTs for the load, splashed some old RCV sample video on the big screen, hit the start button and crossed my arms and smiled. My job done. Here is what we found out: You can carry on a conversation holding 85% of your FTP. 85% of your FTP is roughly between 80-85% of max HR. 85% of FTP compares favorably to an 8.5 RPR in class. HuMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Two juicy comments from those conversations: Garry: If you can't stay inside your own head for 40 minutes, you need help. Clo: Maybe you should take the work out of swimming and enjoy it simply for what it is. Like I said: WOW.

3) The evening's HoM sessions are comprised by an interesting group. A good mix of talent levels with varying goals, aspirations and approaches. I have grown to like this session almost as much as I like the 0530 class. Mostly because it is a challenge altogether different from the pre-sunrise slot. It feels like the dramatic conclusion, the last few miles of a race, the wonderful opportunity to execute our AFS (Always Finish Strong) mantra. As a result I think I push a little harder to ensure that we get there, and pocket the golden take away. I am typically cooked medium-well by the time I get home, ready for some protein, a glass of wine and sleep. The end of a long, hard, productive day.

Thanks again for all your comments and insights. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be here. A closing example:

I was providing my banker with information as we electronically applied for a re-fi. She asked for info on any additional income I might have. When I provided said info she asked if that figure was monthly or yearly. I said, laughing honestly and embarrassingly, that if it was monthly we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Wealth, or a 1% above prime loan, can't buy friendship and happiness. Stay healthy my friends.

Pix: Clo and Garry tackle 85% of their FTPs as Ironman Arizona plays on the big screen. Many of you have asked variations of this question: "Exactly what DO you eat?" Here is a delicious example. Baked tofu in red curry sauce with streamed broccoli, wild rice, quinoa and shitake mushroom slices. Pair that with a bold red for treatment of many ailments, including pulled hamstrings and knee tendinitis!

No comments: