Monday, June 28, 2010

So Long Silver City (delayed)




Looks as if it might get into triple digits here in Reno today. Finally some serious sun. We shot a fabulous ride this morning with Chad and the folks from Indoor Power. The Garmin had us at 18 miles, 80 minutes of beautiful high desert fun. There were enough climbs and descents to make it interesting but the best part was a series of roundabouts in Sommerset that let us air it out a bit. It was fun chasing in the cam car the strong riders 'round the circles. Little traffic, quite a few other riders out enjoying the warm Sunday morning and spectacular scenery the whole route. If a small enough sampling of the fruit flies found heir way to the lens, we might have a keeper.

Yesterday was long one. Up at 0330 to get in some food prior to the drive to Tahoe City and the X-Terra. As I was doing double duty, (racing and filming) the logistic set-up was a touch more involved than usual. Talk about a perfect setting for an off-road ti! Swim in the Lake (58 degrees) then five minutes outside of town you are in shale and dirt climbing towards the remaining snow and wild meadows lined with sequoia and sage. It was a tough two laps, the vest was hot and without cleats I was at the mercy of the downstroke. The Go-Pro admirably reacted to all this challenge and captured some killer vid. The GPS, however, got a little confused in the tree cover.

After the awards I headed South towards Homewood, where I traded in my Specialized for a Giant, downloaded the video to laptop, re-rigged the vest-cam and did the twelve miles, down and back on their marvelous bike trail. A perfect 45 minutes and I was then heading back to Reno to have dinner with my old pal Barry and his GF. I eventually spent the night at Barry's which left zero processing time. I haven't looked at the vid from the bike trail but I am suspecting it will be a shade of stunning as that defines both backdrop and road surface.

So let's do a little re-cap: Thursday shoot at IP. Friday upload vid and course logistics and race/camera prep. Saturday film race, bike leg complete, 12 miles West Tahoe Bike Train. Sunday, 19 mile RCV shoot with IP group.

I am out for San Diego at 0600 tomorrow. Hope to have some video up Monday night.

And of course, RCVman T100 spin Tunes 90-81. (I even heard numero no this morning on local radio. Whoa!)

So long from the Silver City. It was nice.

Monday Morning Update: Flight from Reno connecting in LA to SD is delayed. Nice. I get up at 3:45 to get to airport and the delay causes a massive chain reaction with connection, rental car, commute, meeting, shoot. When I asked the HORIZON rep if she thought that might warrant a $20 bag fee waiver she looked at me like I was speaking Greek. Casual agent: Crew rest. Evidently this is the first flight ever from Reno to LA and they haven't quite got all the scheduling bugs out. Sometimes travel is a test.

Pix: A pre-race zen moment on Lake Tahoe. Try to find a better spot for a X-Tera finish. Chad and the Indoor Power group about to head out for a Sunday ride in Reno.

No comments: