Friday, June 18, 2010

Funnel Clouds







Up here in Minnesota they call them funnel clouds. And I know why. Once you put a body of water underneath, you get a hurricane. Two weather conditions we seldom see out in the Northwest. So while on the one hand it was exciting to be "riding one out" yesterday in Minnesota, I would rather have something with a little more guts that the 50cc scooter I was commandeering. Folks, let me try to put this in perspective. The winds were gusting so hard that I was using all my strength to simply hang on. Forty miles of it, and some stretches where I really wasn't supposed to be (State Highways, Expressways, Interstates). I figured I could try the self preservation defense if pulled over, or just do something REALLY silly to intentionally get arrested so I could spend the night in a safe and secure cement cell.

Yikes!

But all that has passed and today we are gearing up for the twilight downtown criterium. So far, so good, as the sun is shinning here at 0810 and the reports are for some winds but no funnel clouds. OK, then.

In all this excitement I seriously downplayed yesterdays announcement of the CompuTrainer Cruise to Mexico. The photos are of the ms Oosterdam and the map of Baja, where we will sail and ride in December. Let's quickly get on board for this one folks, you will remember that those who waited too long for Alaska were gravely disappointed once we sold out. I will be posting details as they come available and will also use this as an exercise to polish up on my Spanish.

¡Que tenga un buen día!

1 comment:

ej said...

yeah, you are lucky you weren't hit by a railroad tie. we used to call Hwy 96 near my house 'tornado alley', I guess along with all the other roads in MN. I forgot that Cannon Falls is near Northfield and St. Olaf College. Cannon Falls used to have a ski area which I think is still there.