Wednesday, June 16, 2010

RS500/140.6



While at Sea-Tac last week I pulled into my usual bookstore haunt to pick up my usual travel read, Rolling Stone. On the cover was the announcement that once inside I would find their 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Also grabbing a pack of peanut M&Ms I flipped the card on the counter. The cute gal under a black hijab smiled and asked if I knew that this special edition was $9.95 and if that was alright.

I'll have to let you know when I'm done, I clumsily responded, thinking that in all honesty to get the RS500 at two cents per tune was probably a better value than the M&Ms at 25 for $1.50 (plus tax).

Armed and ready off we went towards Boise. I was done with the M&Ms by the time I got to number 100, and it was hard to tell which left the worse taste in mouth. Here is the RS Top Ten to give you an idea, and please keep in mind that this is of ALL TIME. Also let me preface by saying that this is maybe cheap on my part, because everybody has their musical opinion, and any record (tape or MP3) that goes Gold isn't necessarily great, or even good. Here is my sole criteria: A song has to rock. It has to get me through 140.6 miles of pain. And the top ten, therefore, must, accordingly, rock hard. One would think that the top ten would be the hardest rockers ever. Yes?

1) Like Rolling Stone-Bob.
2) Satisfaction-Stones
3) Imagine-John Lennon

4) What's Goin On-Marvin Gaye

5) Respect-Aretha

6) Good Vibrations-Beach Boys

7) Johnny B. Goode- Chuck

8) Hey Jude-Beatles

9) Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana

10) What'd I Say- Ray Charles


RCVman makes this immediate comment: NO WAY (Was that a rotten peanut), Bleh.

And please don't get me wrong, these are all great tunes, but the top ten of all time? I would not want to hear Imagine at mile 80, nor Like a Rolling Stone at mile 100.

Not on your life. If I played that set list in spin class I would be shown the door, rudely and with great authority, and for good reason. Of these ten, only two have ever made it onto the iTouch, (Respect and Good Vibrations). I have played many, many Stones, Beatles and Dylan tunes, but not these. Because there are better ones.

So for the sake of aural argument, I will take the artist and add my favorite tunes to create a counter. Let's try.

1) Dylan-All Along the Watchtower (and Jimi's take was even better!)
2) Stones-Gimme Shelter. No contest.

3) John Lennon- Instant Karma.

4) Marvin Gaye- Heard it thru the Grapevine.

5) Aretha- Freeway of Love

6) Beach Boys- In My Room (makes me cry)

7) Chuck Berry- Nadine

8) Beatles-Get Back (or twenty others)

9) Nirvana- About a Girl. Nirvana does not belong in the top ten, sorry.

10) Ray Charles- Unchain My Heart.


There you go. Fixed it for ya RS. See which set-list gets your HR in Zone 3 and keeps it there longer. See which list keeps you pumped for 140.6

I think today I'll try Outside and some trail mix.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My friend and music historian Chris Knab says take this!
The 'Original' Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green- anything by them
2. Procol Harum-anything but A Whiter Shade of Pale
3. Pearls Before Swine- their 1st album
4. John Cale-This Heart of Mine
5. Roky Erickson- Don't Shake Me Lucifer
6. Love- The Forever Changes Album
7.Cpt. Beefheart- Trout Mask Replica Album
8. John Coltrane- Dear Lord
9. Rahsaan Roland Kirk- anything
10. ZZ Top- Jesus Just Left Chicago ( my ONE mainstream artist on this list )

KML5 said...

Now we're talkin' & rockin'. Nice list, makes me want to head back to the gym!

ej said...

I'm thinking Procol Harum is mainstream, e.g., conquistador with the london philharmonic.

I heard two songs today that would be on my top ten, but I forgot their titles already and can't find them on rhapsody. senior moment. but they qualified. how about The Doors; LA Woman for instance. or even Blue Letter by Fleetwood. RS would approve. I can't believe RS's list. Must have been some lame senior editor.