Friday, March 5, 2010

San Diego


Back in San Diego. The Denny's across the street from the hotel (and I use the noun as more of a thing than a place) is typical Socal, old, a few blems and a ton of character. I made a vow with the RCVman self before the virgin trip of 2010 that one of the areas I could improve upon this go-round was my road eating. If you have been following along these many trips you will quickly notice a trend in my travels. I am usually in go-mode. These are not vacations where I can sit on the beach, sip Tecates mucho frio and finish whatever Ron McLarty novel with which I happen to be joyously immersed. This is work. And as a result of RCVmans strict adherence, job description and personal credo, all to be executed as efficiently as possible. Efficient in this case means economical. Economical, for this example means without frill. The no frills package. Usually I don't mind this, as it has pretty much become the status quo, the norm, par for the course. And hence the Denny's at five in the morning as the skies segue from black to cobalt to haze.

Tequila Sunrise is playing. I have ordered granola and fruit instead of my usual pancakes, browns and scramblers. The waitress is a teen age blond surfer girl. When she smiles in asking if I want anything else, I don't know what to say, so I just grin back at her and do a dumb shrug and mumble a don't think so. She seems disappointed. Maybe she is nearing the end of her shift and was hoping for some entertainment. Maybe not.

Lots to do here Friday in preparation for tomorrows Expo. The possibility of some showers has been discussed on the local news with the passion of earthquakes or snow storms. A small storm front is forming in the Pacific and might bring some isolated, scattered, light rain on Saturday and passing by Sunday. OMG. The guys would love a Seattle gig.

Also across the street from the, ahem, hotel, is B&L Cycles, whom we did some advertising work for ten years ago. The first (and only) California Ironman in Oceanside (now the Oceanside 70.3 where we will be in three weeks) was in 2000. We produced some very cool large format vinyl mileage markers that used an innovative new adhesive technique designed by 3M. Lori Bowden was the poster girl. One of my jobs was to go out and place the 5 foot by ten foot "decal" milage markers at their respective location on the course. Took me all day. Afterwards I went to the Taco Shop.

Next to B&L Cycles.

Next to Denny's.

And across the street from my hotel,

in San Diego.

3 comments:

ej said...

Go for it, you are probably the same age as surfer chick's last boyfriend. SoCal is so great. I recall seeing/listening to the newscasters for the first time after moving down there and realizing just from that that I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

KML5 said...

My feelings about SoCal are with bias, having spent 23.975 (non-consecutive) years here. It seems to me that the good is VERY good when it's good and VERY bad when they're bad, with not a lot of in-between. Kinda like drivin freeways here, you're either an Angel or a Dodger.

ej said...

All I know is that you can't miss eating breakfast in Southern California. I wish they all were Washingtonian girls. (see, even that doesn't quite work. guess I settle for the wet hair look at T&C).