Monday, March 15, 2010

Get On Up



Another Monday. Hills to climb. Income taxes are due in 30 days. I still haven't found the courage to open my property tax statement. My visa card balance just went over ten large. Gas is over $3/gal again and my hospital bills from January's ER visit are due. The good news (seeing the pint as half full) is that Guinness* is on sale for another two days as we jig towards St. Paddy's Day. I WILL drink too that! Slainthe!

This little dozy from the LA Wheelmen. Fargo Street in Los Angeles' Griffith Park area maxes out at 33%. It is short but (bitter) sweet. The record is 101 repeats. AND I THINK I HAVE CHALLENGES!!!!! Here are a couple of the juicier quotes from yesterdays climbers:


"You can't pace yourself," Ali, 64, told Morales. "This is a sprint."

"Man, people give too much respect to this hill," Ali told him. "The truth is, it's about 1% physical and 99% spiritual."

"Yeah," Morales said. "My old coach said it's not the size of the body but the size of the heart."

Another Monday. Hills to climb. Get on up.

*After substantial testing, the RCVman labs has determined that Guinness is the only beer that is better in the can (with widget) than in the bottle. Your actual results may vary-but not by much.

Pix: From Picasa, three sepia riders traverse the 33% grade. From the LA Times article: Doing Paper Boys up Fargo Street.

3 comments:

FW said...

33% is steeper than anything I have come across anywhere in Washington state. That is, anything with pavement.

KML5 said...

Couple of comments:

1) Did you see that number: 101? Yikes.

2) Lot's of Mtn bikers doing paper-boys. Dudes!

3) Next time I am in LA, this is on the bucket list.

4) The folks that live on Fargo St. are lucky that it doesn't snow there often.

5. Way to go LA Wheelmen to pick this monster for an event.

6. 33% would test a CompuTrainer (but not a VeloTron)

ej said...

yes, can, definitely.