Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mirrors


I think we build confidence in the same manner that we build strong muscles. We start slow using a combination of repetition and resistance increases. We allow the body to rest and recover. We are consistent and enthusiastic. We enjoy the process of advancing molecular evolution and making wholesome, healthy lifestyle choices. As our physical fitness increases, we continue, adding the other crucial components to the mix; Good diet and stress management. As we get stronger, faster and fitter, our confidence builds. We have more energy with which to use to help others. We have changed the whole and very much for the better.

"I can do this" is a mantra. A useful one. I can do this workout, at this intensity level and for the required duration. I can do this today. I will do something else tomorrow (cross training 101) and then I will do it all week. Additionally, I will not sabotage my efforts by smoking, gorging on fast food or alcohol abuse. I will also not be mean to animals. I can do this today.

And all month.

And all year.

And always.

Confidence. The reality of your perceptions and the power of your choice lies therein. Look in the mirror. Are you a kitten or King of the Freaking Jungle?

Do the work. Go hard. Rest, recover. Repeat. I can do this.

Motivation comes in many forms. Here, in an excellent article from the LA Times on the motivation behind running a marathon, we get (yet another) sample of the power of choice: You can perceive yourself to be timid as a tabby, or the have the power of the lioness. Which one is reality?

Doesn't matter. Just do the work. Be patient and honest. Smile as you go. The universe loves the kitten as much as the big cat. There is a time to purrrrr and a time to roar, a time to nap in Grandma's lap in the rocking chair and unleash explosive power in hunting for dinner. A time for rest and a time for work. I can do this.

Maybe confidence is the mirror. What do I want to look like today? What will motivate me to do more, feel more, see more?

Let's clean those mirrors, folks.

No comments: