Saturday, March 13, 2010

Google Bike There


Not many times I will pre-empt a new video to provide a PSA, but here goes: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS? The new (in beta) Google bike there. Maps of bike routes - not maps of car routes. Big difference. HUGE. This is amazing technology folks. RCVman even put it through the RCV rigid QC test for accuracy, using the notorious (yet familiar) route between LAX and Oceanside. Those of you who have ridden this 90 or so miles know of what I speak. It is tricky, more than most cities. (San Francisco is runner up). Especially difficult around Long Beach and the always challenging navigation through Camp Pendleton. Where it would be easier if you were a seal.

The app passed RCV quality control with flying colors and we stand amazed and awed at the ever increasing tools at our cycling disposal. If I wasn't already intimate with the route I would use it today as I ride the new Specialized mtn bike (fully suspended) from Battle Point Park to the Seattle Bike Show. Alas, I know the way.

I do, however, take somewhat an exception to the Planet Green article and especially to Ed Begley Jr. (watch the video) who both seem to think that bicycles need to have an electric assist motor for hill climbing. I know it's for the general public, but.....

Beg pardon?

No comments: