Monday, August 31, 2009

Bittersweet




It was 1952 but it could have been yesterday. The Today Show made its debut, Harry Truman was POTUS, the B-52 completed its initial flight, Albert Schweitzer won the Nobel, The Yankees beat the Dodgers in the series and RCVman was born. See photo with Mom.

This has always been a bittersweet day. Many years ago it symbolized the end of summer and the return to school. It was always too hot to be indoors in Southern California in September and wearing stiff, heavy and itchy Catholic School uniforms and new shoes after going barefoot all summer, was as painful as getting lectures from the Nuns.

Later, much later, the end of August represented glorious trips to Penticton, British Columbia, Canada. Ironman Canada has always been the last week of August gleefully coinciding with my birthday, For those of you that know the pain involved with this event, you understand, again, my intentional use of the word 'bittersweet'. It has been ten years now that I have made the annual trek to the Okanagon. With the exception of two years ago when I was denied entry for a "misunderstanding" and went instead to Louisville, KY, to film IMKY. That is another story altogether, and not for today, however.

So here we are, August 31, 2009. Lot's has gone down. It has been 20,805 days since my debut. A few of those days have been good, a few not-so-good and a few outstanding. OK, a couple even flat out sucked. But the new goal is this: I want to find a way to make each day from here on out, and I seriously doubt that I will get another 20K, outstanding.

And that will begin in an hour when I ride my birthday century, the Chilly Hilly Trey.

Yes, that will hurt a little. But as we have examined over the last few years in the House of Pain, suffering, pain, value, fun, fitness and quality of life are all subject to interpretation.

As sometimes is the bittersweet definition of yesterday.

9 comments:

ej said...

What!? your birthday is today? My birthday was yesterday, 8/30 and I did the Bike for Pie deal. I can ride a bit today if you want some company.

FW said...

I should have guessed that your penchant for penance had roots in growing up Catholic. Suffering brings redemption, or so I hear. Congratulations on living a life well lived, and here's to many more days where you can continue that trend. I'll lift a glass for you in absentia -- cheers!

KML5 said...

Thanks fellas. Happy Birthday to you EJ, how was the pie? I will take a rain check on the drink as RCVdad is buying pizza and beer at the Treehouse Cafe. I have totally forgiven the Nuns who tried so hard to convert me. They were simply doing their jobs as best they could. I was a rebel. We clashed. I questioned their authority and they kept me after school on a regular basis. Except during baseball season, then I was a saint. Everything I understand about cause and effect I owe to Sister Fintan.

Oh, and my ride today? Outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Aww, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I'm glad your ride was. . .outstanding!!

ej said...

I could have guessed you were a Virgo. Geezz, all Virgos should take a slow ship to an exotic island like Bali or something, etc., and just stay there. I'll let you guess what the etc. is as I'm a Virgo.

ej said...

PS - You have a good looking Mom.

KML5 said...

I never put a lot of stock in astrological tendencies, however, for some strange reason (?) I really like Leo women. And as far as Bali...remember I did three tours in the Indian Ocean on a coral atoll most people can't find on a map. The DoD calls it remote and isolated, I called it an amazing experience. Yeah, Mom was a doll. Thanks Frozen, the amazing streak has reached one!

ej said...

yeah, I was thinking on my birthday that a few years on an island ala Matisse bringing several cheerful women with me would do a lot of good for my disposition. I do recall the MWR DoD but I wasn't thinking that island.

ej said...

I meant Gauguin.