Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Many More




Glad I now have 364 days to train for next years ride!

Centuries are always epic. You get the full physical and emotional roller coaster. We used to call it the E-ticket. Yesterday's 101 miles was no exception. The course was Chilly Hilly X3. I know these 33 miles intimately. Those of us who live and ride here all do. It is the default ride for Islanders, the strand of the Island, the Palomar of Bainbridge, the Queen K of Puget Sound. I initially thought that as well as the distance, I should also establish a time standard and go at about race pace. That lasted about ten miles and I settled into a "groove pace" that allowed some rose smelling and rubbernecking. After all it was my birthday and I was out for fun.

The 0830 first lap was in a shroud of fog, reminding me of San Francisco. I was glad that I added arm warmers at the last minute. Visibility was poor and across the calm waters Manchester looked like the cover of David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars. Got a call from the home office and had to stop and chat with Chuck for ten minutes. The news was good (very good) and I proceeded with a somewhat springier spin. At Port Madison there was a crew of carpenters getting started on a new composition roof on a 40x40 garage. Took me five minutes to cross 305. Weather Report Suite was playing on an endless loop inside my helmet, in particularly the keyboard parts.

As I live on the course, I used this as advantage to pit stop for a PBJ and e-mail check. Ten minutes later I was back on the course and the sun was in a winning battle to burn the mist. I was feeling pretty good and still pacing to manage fuel for the final (truth rendering) lap. Stopped at the Rollin Bay Jiffy Mart for a bottle of Gatorade (Ice Blue) and a snickers bar. I was amazed that the guys had already finished one complete side of the roof. Four minute break at Hidden Cove and 305 was just fine. Peterson Hill and Devil's Dip seemed a little steeper on the second loop, but legs and lungs were OK.

66 down and 33 to go. Remembered that I needed to do a bank deposit so shoved the envelope in jersey and headed out for final lap. Blue skies now with rolled down arm warmers. Neck and and shoulders a bit fatigued but all other moving parts holding up nicely. Crystal Springs and Port Blakeley rolled past with sparkling clarity. Dropped deposit at Kitsap Bank and got back on course. Stopped to see Anna Joe at the Rolling Bay Bakery and she fixed me up with a killer double short espresso, filled my water bottle (including ice) and served up a mouth watering sugar and carbo laden cinnamon roll (I passed on the micro and butter). After that it was the home stretch. The roofers were picking up their tools and heading home, jog completed. There was no traffic on 305 and I barely even stopped. Peterson Hill seemed flat and at the top of Arrow Point I was already tasting pizza and beer. Done.

1st lap: 2:14 (with phone call and pit stop)
2nd lap: 2:23 (Jiffy stop and pit)
3rd lap: 2:21 (Bakery)

6:58, 101, 8,690 ft. on 8.31.09

And many more.

2 comments:

ej said...

Got you beat. I did four rounds today each under 2 hours!

KML5 said...

Rounds of golf?