Sunday, September 27, 2009

P.I.G.



Sunday afternoons have always brought out the melancholy in me. Even this one, officially a few days into Fall, a spectacular cobalt blue and sun splashed reminder of summers past. This was to be the last high volume training weekend before Kona and the subsequent taper into the indoor season. But I didn't want to burden another instructor for Saturday's class, yesterday I strained the MCL of my left knee (again) and the Kona video is already providing challenges and I am only three minutes in. OK, yeah, I like the open, but with 57 minutes to go and only six days to produce, it might as well snow.

So here I sit looking at clips from the last three seasons, watching what I should be doing. I am both inspired and dejected. Pleased that I am able to bottle a sample of this magical elixir, and totally bummed that I can't even walk to the kitchen without a whimper. How the knee responds to ice, compression, ibuprofen and Rawson's Retreat shiraz-caberet will determine my spinning instruction at 0530 on the marrow.

Until then, I will push the project and try to keep my frustrations out of the vPOV (video Point of View). I am wondering however, if my use of the CompuTrainer squealer, a Geico/Aflac-like attempt to put a cute animal face on a retail commodity, will trigger metaphoric connotations, as in, "My power output will increase 2mph in five months WHEN PIGS FLY." And yes, I layered it in the upper right corner of the Kona course (forgive me Madame Pele and Queen K) with a subtle clockwise spin in time with the narrative. So we'll see if I catch any shrapnel from THAT decision. Petey, the Performance Improvement Guarantee oinker is shown in jpg stillness above.

All for now, ice is melting.

No comments: