Friday, September 18, 2009

Not upset

As the VBA knows (and somewhat tolerates), RCVman sometimes ventures into the wild, wacky, weird and wonderful world of "things other than triathlon". Case in point is tomorrow's Pac 10 football game pitting the underdawg University of Washington Huskies (the good guys) versus the arrogant, spoiled by success, haughty, snobbish and altogether ridiculously talented and tanned private school thugs from USC (the bad guys). These two have dueled 79 times since 1923. Series stands in favor of SC at 49-26-4, with our last victory coming in 2001. Eight long and painful years ago.

I have been watching these two teams go after it since I was barely old enough to shave. The first time I ever watched a college football game live it was in the Colosseum, home of the Trojans. It was 1956. I was four. Paul Hornung was the QB for Notre Dame that rainy day in LA. Future Ram Jon Arnett was the QB for USC who eventually won the game 28-20. Hornung would go on the win the Heisman that year (still the only player on a team with a losing record to do so). I remember being miserable under a yellow umbrella trying to eat a foot-long soggy hot dog, hearing the roar of the crowd amid the smell of cigars. For the record, I have known many fine people who went to USC. But in LA there is no middle ground, you either LOVE the Trojans or you LOATHE them. And as Mom was the textbook coordinator at UCLA and I was being scouted and groomed to one day play shortstop for the Bruins, my LOATHE factor for the men from Troy was, well, off the charts. It only deepened once I escaped from LA and landed in Seattle. That was 1974 and I will never forget the crackling radio hiss of the Huskies playing SC from LA that year as I drove my pick up over Blewett Pass. I was a college fan reborn, with a new home team. And they played on a road called Montlake, wore purple and gold and were called the Huskies.

Naturally, then I would like to see them treat the visitors rudely. As in kick their asses. As in humiliate, annihilate and dominate. Expose them as frauds. They have been atop not only the PAC 10 standings, but national rankings as well for most of the last decade. And it is about time that ended.

I can think of no better time and place for this to happen than tomorrow afternoon at Husky Stadium.

It has been an often painful (0-12 wasn't a pretty 2008) ramp-down from the glory years of the Nineties. In 1990 we singlehandedly started the fall of Todd Marinovich, the infamous, "All I saw was Purple" dismantling on almost this same day nineteen years ago. Yeah, we're hungry. The Dawgs are out of Ty's doghouse and have a lot to prove. I think they are ready. I think they are primed. I think they will upset Number 3 ranked USC tomorrow (starting at 12:30 on regional ABC). I will even go so far as to predict the score (based on all that you have just read and all that it represents as both data and innuendo):

UW 38 USC 13

And I will not be upset if they win 14-13 either!




http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

And it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks so. Watch for the twosome featured above, Jake and Johri, to have break out days.

12 comments:

ej said...

saw some USC fans with pom-poms and large decals all over the car, USC plates, etc at the Harbour Pub this afternoon. 27-10 USC

ej said...

PS - University of Minnesota Golden Gophers 27 - California 17

FW said...

I'm smelling upset at Montlake tomorrow. With so many former USC coaches running the show, Art Thiel could be right. I'm picking the Huskies 28, USC 24.

KML5 said...

Pom Poms and decals (or even 80 years of tradition) do not a victory guarantee. THAT is the beauty of College Football. A few more reasons why the Dawgs win tomorrow:

Johri Fogerson
Sark & Holt
We want it while they merely expect it
Their three main studs are not 100%
EJ Savannah will come of age
C. Polk grinds his axe
JL will use his full arsenal of talented WRs (big bombs)
Q said it best: It's guaranteed!
We will smell blood early AND LIKE IT.
Montana will out preform Heaps tonight to open the weekend act
We have a one game winning streak
Lady Mo
Number 66 on D
September 22, 1990
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of our Husky lives
The memory of Don Heinrich.
The Zone
Dubs
Karma

And good luck Gophers, too.

KML5 said...

Time for a regime change in the PacX.
Gentlemen, let's tee it up. As Art said in his beautifully concise analysis of the LSU opener: Game on.

Big snarling Husky woof!

ej said...

4th quarter. Have to say that modern college football seems a lot like American cars -- overly hyped and when it gets right down too it, pretty darn disappointing. And these announcers! I bet a 70 year old Fran Tarkenton (or however old he is)could shred either the WA or USC defenses with little 5 yarders to the sides. Nothing happens. Maybe Alabama?

FW said...

Pretty good prediction, dude. 16-13. Yes, sir!

KML5 said...

My take on how and why:

Nick Holt for making CRUCIAL defensive adjustments in allowing the Trojan machine only 3 (as in THREE) second half points. And Jake's presence in the final drive. Wow. Combined relentless Husky desire steps us up back into the big time and bites SC in the butt. Gutsy performance by McKight. As we speak The University of Washington sits atop the PAC Ten standings. Nice work lads. Welcome back. WOOF

ej said...

I'm happy for you.I'm going to skip watching team sports this winter and more importantly listening or reading about them.

KML5 said...

Twenty-five years ago I decided that I was wasting too much time watching the Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics and Huskies. I was tired of, and burnt-out on, team sports. First hand experience as a player, coach and reporter provided many valuable lessons. But then it got to be too much. Too much hype, too much greed, too much slime, too many jerks. Too much time lost and mismanaged. I quit them all cold turkey and walked away. And a funny thing happened. I realized that the one thing I liked about it all was the competition. So I found a way to keep the value without the fat. I started running. I was out of the team concept, alone, yet still competing. Running turned to triathlon and I only looked back once. And that was to see what the Huskies were up to. I decided that I would allow myself this one team sport vice. So , for the last quarter century I have avoided baseball, pro football and basketball like the swine flu and followed the Dawgs with a special reserved passion. I like watching the kids grow, learn and mature in that pressure cooker environment. Yesterday was a great reward. Somebody said it was a miracle. I think more like hard work and persistance. A couple of pretty good lessons to learn, solo or as part of a team.

ej said...

OK, good points and about what I was thinking; I'll take your advice and keep a vice (maybe two).

KML5 said...

Keep as many as you like, just spin three times a week and stay out of Macs Lounge!!!