Monday, April 13, 2009

Toe Jam




Did ya ever see "On The Edge"? GREAT running movie and near the top of my all-time favorite sports movies. Stared Bruce Dern as the enigmatic runner, obsessed with beating the course record at the 100 year old Dip-Sea in Marin County. The 1985 move is a cult classic among runners. Today I can very much relate. The back-story: Friday night (after my run) I had this weird feeling that I was forgetting something. Something big was about to take place and I was on the mute end of the aural spectrum. Something about Easter. Ahhhh, the Toe Jam Half-Marathon, traditionally staged the week after Easter. Has been for 28 years now. I thought to myself that this incredibly hilly and hard event would be (yet another) gauge of my current physical fitness. Even knowing that the data would not be great news, it would provide, hopefully, some motivation to start the serious spring ramp. So I went on-line to enter the race that I have done 11 times in the past and have always respected and revered. And dreaded, I mean this in ONE TOUGH SOB. And that is what makes it what it is. Same reason that Chilly Hilly is so infamous. It's our wonderful backyard full of hills.

So imagine my dismay, RCVGBA, when I discover that the event has BEEN CANCELLED. WTF? 28 consecutive runnings and they pull the plug, without even consulting me? In RCV-ville, folks, that is a felony.

After a few phone calls and e-mails the story pointed to the plain and simple fact that the Boys & Girls Club, who now "own" the event, having taken it off the hands of the BIPRD four years ago, put in a lot of work last year and lost money. This, coupled with the economy forcing sponsors to pull, provided all the motivation they needed to walk away. And nobody is rushing in to take their place. Except that my old pal Billy Nelson at Nelson Wood & Glass is interested in combining the 10K with his Taste of Lynwood event in September. Noble, but that would be like staging Halloween in May, or running the Kentucky Derby on Mothers Day.

So I have taken it upon myself to keep the streak alive. THERE WILL BE A TOE JAM HALF MARATHON FOR THE 29TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR. I may be the only participant, but there will be this event, this year, on Saturday, April 18th.

A few details: It will be the 'old course', starting and finishing at the Bethany Lutheran Church parking lot on Finch Rd. It will start at 0700. There is no entry fee, there are no T-shirts, medals or official timer. No volunteers, cops at intersections, or paramedics. I will mark the course Friday night and put out an aid station with water at the 3-T's intersection. Other than that you are on your own and automatically disavow any knowledge of an organized event in the case of accident. All participants are required to have fun, pay homage to those that have run before us on this historic course, and make a $13.10 donation to the B&G Club of BI. RCVman in return will recognize you and YOUR SPIRIT in the quest to keep the Toe Jam streak alive.

Some things you just have to do. Like add On The Edge to your Netflix queue before Friday.

8 comments:

FW said...

Get this into the Bainbridge Review PDQ s.v.p.

ej said...

I have seen that movie and run the Dipsea course. There is a great book, which I own and think I can find, about the history of Dipsea, if you haven't seen it. Has to be Bruce's best movie.

I will likely run, although that is a great distance.

The cancellation does not surprise me I guess. Too bad the founders (whoever they are) of the new race, Freedom 5K, which started last year did not take it over.

KML5 said...

Yeah, it's kinda like if they canceled Chilly Hilly after 33 years, would we still ride it? I might check out their on-line community board, but I need to keep it way under the radar (according to my attorney).

KML5 said...

Yeah, in all my conversations about TJ the last few days, the original course design, way back in 1980, must have involved endorphins and Rainier beer. I wonder who those guys were, if they are still around and if they still run it. It is so painful. So the entry field doubled today?????

ej said...

I ran the 10K one year, when I first came to the island, with Lisa and her friend Susan Weisser and they had spent the previous 6 mos running trails and really long distances. They both (two women) kicked my butt. The winner that year at least the 10K was from Europe I think. Lots of good runners. So after that, having been beaten up by these women runners, I went out and trained for several months seeking revenge and managed to beat them both at Seattle's Jingle Bell 5K. This just about sums up my running career or at least the part that doesn't involve Rhody Run and SoCal. I'm kinda hoping for a comeback ala Bruce Dern.

ej said...

Yeah, I'll run it.

ej said...

I'll wear some shades and pretend its St. Croix.

KML5 said...

Beasts, both.