Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ritual




Sporting incidents singled out and applauded by the media as examples of heroic action are used to support the idea that athletes are significant social figures because they are capable of representing important societal values, i.e., courage, gameness, integrity, and poise. From: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=96432474

On the eve of he first 'true' race of the year (there is a clock involved), I find myself lost in the wonderful and mysterious world of ritual. There are things that need to be done in order to:

1) Be ready,
2) Race well,
3) Maximize and enjoy the experience.

In order to accomplish all of the above, henceforth referred to as the 'goal', one needs to approach these in chrono order. You need to be ready. You need to have trained. You need to have put in the miles, worked the core and fine tuned the machine as best you can.

If you have been successful on the above, number two is simply a matter of being present and taking what the day offers. You will know if you have been successful on number 1 if you have been successful on number 2. And vice versa. Most athletes are in constant flux deciding on the success rates of these two items. Sounds easy, no?

Number three is my favorite. I have been doing various forms of this since I was six. That is over a half a century my dear VBA. I have learned a lot about ritual, the need for preparation and the joy, value and rewards available to the person who crosses the line first - as well as last. I like racing. I like the challenge. I like the competition. I like cleaning my bike the day before a race. I like the last 60 seconds before the gun fires and my mind does a slide show of all the training sessions that have taken place over the winter. I winder if they will provide me with a return on investment. I wonder if I am ready. In 30 seconds I will get to apply all the knowledge of the past into the present moment of the race, along with hundreds of others. I WILL maximize this experience and enjoy each and every moment, every foot strike, and pedal rotation, knowing full well that it will involve effort and hence, pain.

It's a ritual I look forward to. And it's time.

Photos: Top, It's Spring and time to have fun
Middle: The Blue Jays in the ritualistic pre-game strategy chat
Bottom: Otto checks my front wheel true as part of the race prep ritual.

1 comment:

ej said...

Nice Du. I find that you can at least enjoy the experience by being moderately ready and well. All things in moderation kind of philosophy. Now only to trick my mind and body into believing moderation is training two hours a day. Some trick.