Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chi Running


It might be somewhat a stretch, but of the last three books I have read, two were about running. The other one was about horses. They like to run, too, so therein lies the literature trifecta. This latest one, Chi Running by Danny Dreyer http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php has rocked my world, and not just the part that running plays in it. As you can imagine from the title, it contains little gems of Oriental wisdom and an altogether radical (to the western, modern mind) approach to the oldest of sports. Think Kwai Chang Caine on Heartbreak Hill. To say, thusly, that I thoroughly relate and am mesmerized would be an understatement the scale of calling Ironman a walk in the park.

To capsulize, he talks about how we can run injury free, run longer, smoother and with more speed as a result of impeccable form and absolute economy of motion. He says look at the Kenyans. Where are the big, bulky Mr. Man muscles? How do they get so fast with so little mass? Well, dear VBA, in a word. Chi (chee).

If you run (and I know that you do), or if you have run, are hurt, and want to run again, or if you want to run faster and pain free (whoa!) this is a must read.

And it doesn't hurt to start a chapter (in this case four) by stating, "How do I best move towards mastery? To put it simply, you practice diligently, but you practice primarily for the sake of practice itself." This gem from George Leonard's Mastery.

5 comments:

le said...

I'm glad to see your rave review on this work since I (quite coincidentally) just ordered it from Amazon on Sunday. It's also timely because I just came from the PT who is working on my sore right piriformis muscle. I've been told to lay off running a bit, so before I can make a new start on the chi path, it will be back in the spin saddle as of tomorrow AM. Cheers.

KML5 said...

I know that is sounds at first glance ironic, but THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!

le said...

Yeah, it's Totally Awesome. I'll show ya where it hurts : )

KML5 said...

:)

FW said...

Puts a new spin on turning the other cheek.