Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Boca Boy





It's not easy, eating right in the road, he admitted. The road is set up to accommodate the hectic pace of this modern world, quick check out, easy access, everything to go, fast food. Gotta get from here, Point A, to there, Point B asap. Pronto. Stat. Time is money. Saw an inpatient five year old at a four way major intersection yesterday with a cell phone texting fast and furious. Poor kid, he thought, there will be plenty of time to play beat the clock, enjoy this sunny moment in the sun and be a kid.

Since my dive of a room was next to two road icons, a Olive Garden and a Denny's, I dropped some coin at each, needless to say, more for convenience that healthy eating. The staff at OG was young and energetic, a grad school waitress one class away from a degree in Economics, another student who wants to visit the seven wonders of the world upon graduation, a single Mom bartender doing a double shift and a waiter who's Dad recently did Ironman Florida. All good kids and the crisp salads, warm bread, and minestrone soups were terrific. The portabello ravioli was a touch bland, but everything else was grand, so thanks gang, and good luck to you all.

Denny's, otoh, is always an adventure. Clientele wise. You just never know who will pop in, and in what condition. Last night I was the only game in town and we had some fun with yours truly playing the dumb vegetarian from Seattle looking for a decent dish. Neither of the servers had ever been asked about the Boca Burger, let alone actually served one,so I was a touch concerned and thought briefly about having yet another French Slam, but, I had come too far with the skit to wimp out by that time, so I had them fry one up for me. Very comical sometimes playing the fool, he thought. Comedy can be easy as long as you don't try to cerebralize it by trading themes with Bill Maher, Leno or Letterman. Hey this is an empty Denny's, I should be able to try out some new material, bada bing. So I order and eat. Fries and a vanilla shake to complete the input of saturated fat. I ask if the staff would like to appear in my blog alongside the infamous soy burger (which I am surprised is not $12.50 due to fuel costs and subsidies). They agreed and earned my largest all time Denny's tip ($10) as a result of their effervescence, charm and diligence. The burger was a touch leathery however, so the moral of this entry is to stay with the french toast and eggs, unless you have an urge to do stand up.

I am at the business center at the Tampa airport waiting for the flight to Denver and then on into SEA-TAC. Have lots to do in less than 24 hours as me and Kurt hit the road for Wildflower at noon on Wednesday.

Some more pix from Florida.

One of the best RD's around, Phil La Haye.
After you race, there is one last leg, carrying your bike over a steel bridge to the parking lot. Considered by many to be cruel and unusual, and by others to be just another obstacle to overcome. (like cropping jpegs)
The mall where I got the iPhone cable. A mall is big when it has a Lexus dealership inside.
And lastly Kelly, Lori and Sheri at the Denny's on Busch St, in Tampa, sitting behind their pride and joy (and my dinner) the infamous Boca Burger. Thanks gals.

I will try my best to get a entry in while home, but if not, stay tuned for yet another RCV road trip down I-5 for Wildflower. I think this might be my tenth trip to the event affectionately known as the Woodstock of Triathlon. It's a free concert from now on boca boy, he laughed.

No comments: