Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Would YOU?






For those of you wondering about how Professional Triathletes train, here is a wonderful video example featuring CompuTrainer sponsored athlete Andy Potts. As you can see from the stunning HD video, Andy has a pretty cool set up in his home. Every time they show him on the bike, a Kestrel, his bike is on the CT.


I know I put out nowhere near the wattage Andy creates, but the beauty is in the relativity. Consider: Let's say Andy splits Kona at 4:46:06 (his actual time in 2009), whereas my IM PR is 5:36:10 (Ironman Canada 2002). That is a whopping 50 minute differential over 112 grueling miles. Mr. Potts, in his pain cave puts in, on average, an hour a day on the CT. I, otoh, will do TWICE that today, one 60 minute session in the am (and I hope we get out of September soon), and another 12 hours later. If, all other training protocols being equal, I can cut my bike time by 10% and hammer out a 5:03 next August in Penticton, the relationship between our times dramatically shrinks. It is highly unlikely Andy can get 10% faster as he is already pretty much at the apex of his cycle game. I, however, could.


With effort. With determination. Staying healthy. And doing TWICE the work. And not just on Wednesdays.


Will I pay that price? Is it THAT important? Should I devote an entire year (sacrificing, perhaps, love and money) in the attempt? Would YOU?


Pic is from Slowtwitch.com

No comments: