Tuesday, September 6, 2011

That Weather Thing

Getaway week. It has been a long spell. But Thursday morning your intrepid RCV hero (me) will board a US Airways flight (make two stops) and arrive at Ronald Reagan airport a few minutes before eleven. Assuming all goes without incident along the way. In addition to shooting the Nations Triathlon on Sunday, we are putting the finishing touches on the DC UTT, Disctrict of Columbia Urban Time Trial. I have a rough draft designed of 11.39 miles that goes past most of the major attractions. There are many making the course design a challenge. We'll go at first light 0646 and hope traffic (and security) is at a minimum. Weather is calling for nice warm temps and a slightly-better-than-in-Seattle chance of rain. You will remember that last year we came away empty as a result of day of event showers. I cannot allow a repeat of this, so please folks, whatever pull you have in this regard (I have none), use it for me. Just need about 90 minutes Sunday morning, 7-8:30 Eastern. After that I don't care if it snows, there is a 5.9 quake or Hurricane whomever blows through. I just need 90 minutes of race footage in order to feed my family (in a manner of speaking).


Leading up to the flight and road assignment, I am trying to front-load my fitness. The weekend saw some decent LSD work and this morning's Yoga with Michelle was again superb. Tonight is another 5 miler in the park and tomorrow is a double spin, 0530 and 1830. Note to self: Pack compression socks for the flights.


The schedule while in DC is mostly set. Friday expo, Friday night dinner with CT rep (and UTT pilot Dave), Saturday UTT shoot, expo and meetings with RD, moto pilot and credentials pickup, and Huskies versus Hawaii at our favorite lucky Irish Pub (where I need to put a limit on quaffage, unlike last year). Sunday is race day with an 0400 start to my day and a late afternoon finish. Kathy and I usually go out for dinner afterwards. Monday is photo-shoot day in DC, Smithsonian and shopping. Out Tuesday and back in HoM saddle 0530 Wednesday morning.


There is the week. A few details left, but manageable so far and all systems go. Except that weather thing.


Pix: Mr. Harvey after our monumental CH ride Sunday evening and (bottom) one of the sights along the soon-to-be-monumental DC UTT course. Weather permitting.

No comments: