Friday, September 23, 2011

The Slate


The slate is wiped clean. Time now to plot, plan and create anew. The setting will be Kailua-Kona, Big Island of Hawaii, Oct. 3-10. Yes, that will encompass the 33rd annual running of the Ironman World Championships on Saturday, Oct. 8. It will be my tenth trip to this spectacle staged in close tropical proximity to Paradise. I really like Kona. The organic olfactory waves of sensual delights, the colors, feeling perfectly dressed in shorts and a T, fresh papaya. Not to mention hanging with the fittest athletes on the planet for a week. It always seems to provide an ideal motivational stimulus to keep me focused upon return to the gray and rainy mainland. This year will be different however, as I need to pack some of the energy and attitude in my gear bag (trusting I can sneak it past the ultra-high TSA in Kona) and keep it alive for the eleven long months that will precede Ironman Canada in August. Then (Lord willing) when I post this time next year it will be about my RACING in Kona, not merely working.


Won't that be fun?


There is a lot to do, tons to accomplish, miles to log, calories to burn, bridges to pass, in preparation for both those big events. I look at it as Canada being the main-entree goal (I need to go sub-11) and Kona, the desert. And what a sweet treat that will be!


In the meantime, the first item on the slate is an Urban Time Trial on Wednesday morning, Oct. 5 at sunrise (0611). The course is mapped above. If you have ever been to Kona, you know this route, the avenue of Kings, Alii Dr. We'll start at the official T1 point, the Pier at the KIng Kam and cruise all the way south to the top of the hill at the Keauhou Shopping Center, and back. Eleven of the coolest miles on the planet. I will be posting this on the CompuTrainer site later today asking for volunteers to ride, but if any VBA are going and game, here is the first shot. The RCVman blog has its perks!!!


Also, the new jerseys are here! Yay! I will be doing a photo shoot this morning at the Club and will have the promo and sales info posted tomorrow at the latest. There are only 36 garments this (limited edition) round, at $80 per. That is cost. Hopefully on the next round I can add some quantity to reduce the price. It is all about demand. Writing numbers on the blackboard.


Having a clean slate to work with. Go.

2 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

Sign me up for the TT, too.

KML5 said...

You'll like this one!