Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hardness

Wanna know what's hard?


I mean besides the things you would expect me to say, like a 2:55 marathon or maintaining 25mph on a hilly, windy course for four hours. A 58 minute IM swim. Raising kids, playing classical music and learning Arabic is pretty challenging, too. But none of those are what I reference today.


What is hard is staying indoors in the Northwest when the sun provides almost 80 degrees of warmth out. In September. More specifically, like the last two days.


So with this as an excuse for missing yesterday's post, a lame one I know, we'll move steadfastly along the sunny and shadowy Labor Day weekend. Which reminds me of a sign on Old 99 entering Bakersfield, CA (I wonder if it is still up?) saying, garishly,


SUN, FUN, STAY, PLAY.


My college baseball team once was snowed-out of a game in Bakersfield. It was none-of-the-above. But today here, as yesterday, is precious. The kind of day that makes you want to buy a camera. Water sparkling, trees still, mountains wall-to-wall. Green, blue and crackling with energy. One of those rare days when you can see the Cascades from your left eye and the Olympics from your right. Both have snowy cataracts atop reminding us that latitudinal elevation requires fleece or Gortex, even without 20/20. Yesterday was a warm 90 minute spin followed by another of my favorite late summer/fall pastimes, the kickoff of Husky football. I was planning an evening 5K in the park, but my Dawgs played with such little emotion that I was left with even less after the final play, a game saving interception by Desmond Trufaunt. More on THAT later. So I took the night off to think about stuff. Which, as is the norm, made matters worse. It was a nice fire on the deck though, and I am quite sure that that one bright and shining star sparkling overhead heard my pathetic pleas for understanding. Oh, Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood. Da di da da di da da.


Fortunately, for the sake of all animals great and small, we had another run scheduled this morning, with Willow, Bob and myself slugging out a 14 miler. That was the inspiration behind the sappy sunshine prose. Going out again at 5 tonight to ride 33 miles around the Island on the course we pretty much call the CH. Chilly Hilly. It will be one of the two this afternoon/evening.


I am working on a cool video project that requires constant attention, a three part transfer from SD to DVD. It is very sensitive material on tape, with no master copy. I am trying to get it done without incident and deliver the DVDs for subsequent editing and the creation of a promotional piece in the attempt to sell to a production company for theatrical consideration. And that keeps me inside this afternoon on this spectacular September afternoon. Helping my friends through the creative process. But...


We ride at five. I'll be ready.


If only a 2:55 mary was the same.


Pic shows off some shadows as I clean Phoenix Red between renders.

4 comments:

Willow said...

That's a great pic! It's very artistic! Thanks for the run. Glad I met you and am able to run w/ you (if seeing you from afar counts as "running with you!")

KML5 said...

It does, and thank YOU!

ej said...

look, i am trying to refinish two decks, paint some, cut some wild weeds from my yard, fix the gutters, do legal work, walk the dog, take in the us open, play golf, go kayaking, do the running or biking today, lay in the hammock, read your blog, read FB, comment a few times, walk the dog...catch up with a few friends...

KML5 said...

Dude, you're a hard ass. That's the point. Only HAs get all that done in a week.