Sunday, September 25, 2011

BF Walks into a Bar

Mr High Wind goes into a neighborhood and orders a power outage. No joke. First storm of the fall and BOOM BOOM out go the lights. I am sitting in the darkness of the studio typing on my MacBook as dancing shadows from the broad-leaf maples frolic and filter the late afternoon sun. If it wasn't for the fact that I make my modest living manipulating digital media and mangling metaphors, I would relish the opportunity to read by candlelight, use the hand tools or cook with fire. But there are things to be done.


One of the things done this morning was an lsd run. Caught a break in the wind and rain and headed out for an early one. YOU TELL ME what the ironic significance is when you pass a guy with one leg walking his dog on the out and a discarded (and decent looking) postrepedic mattress on the return. Then again maybe I read too much into gratitude and recovery. Bob, who you will be hearing lots about down the road as he has also signed up for Ironman Canada, slugged out a twenty miler. I wimped out (not having gone long for three weeks) and logged 13. I could still feel the effects of the BF run in my calfs and it was interesting to note the difference in "spine angle" running back in traditional padded footwear. I run way more upright, hamstring/glute dependent, with shoes compared to without. Part of the point I am told.


To test this therapeutic theory further, the running partner and I are going to do a twice a week minamilistic run with those silly looking 'fingers on your toes' gloves, er, shoes, beginning unpon my return from Kona. She suffers from a hip aliment that we cannot diagnose. Could be this or it could be that. I haven't the pay grade to tell. After two tears of training and racing all I can do is suggest professional intervention. An MRI. Or..…..


If the intelligence is legit, and the success stories are valid, can using the bodies own inherent self regulation system to identify the weak kinetic link by eliminating the band-aids that mask the very source of the problem, identify it?


I don't know. But for the cost of two pair of these ugly thingamajigs, we are going to find out. My test and my treat.


As always we invite you to join us in the testing adventure and training fun. Or I suppose you could sit around in the dark and wait for illumination. See ya Monday. Let's power up.


Pix: Calm before the storm sunset looking west to the Olympics. Two young and happy Husly fans. BIFD puts up the DO NOT CROSS ribbon in front of the cabin, thereby giving the afternoon off.

No comments: