Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Give Us

This day. As many of you know this is the week of calm prior to the perfect storm of Hawaii. I have a HUGE proposal to script, edit, rewrite and perfect. There will also be accompanying video. These two could easily dominate my work plate until Alaska #865 is approved for take-off Monday. But there are other items on that plate as well, all needing attention. Most successful people will tell you that time management is a crucial component of GSD. Getting stuff done. I was reminded of this yesterday as I cleaned, swept, inspected and upgraded my roof. Upgraded in this usage translates to adding four tarps. I know exactly why I avoided doing this when the summer sun was smiling. And why it took the first storm, the first real steady downfall, to prod me into action.


Pretty simple. Because (and please remember that the person I report to is currently blogging instead of drafting the aforementioned proposal) I would rather run, bike, race, build a new deck and a pizza oven than muck around trying to repair a leaky roof, the source of which I cannot find. Not that I haven't tried mind you, but when you choose to build around a pair of 200 foot fir trees (instead of felling), that is the chance you take. When the wind blows we rock like the proverbial cradle. And this creates space. And water drips. Which I then collect. We even have a semi-colloquialism about it. A "four bucket night" means hard rain. A "five bucket day" is a Northwest downpour, clouds open, Puget Sound faucet wide open.


And I don't care. I'll get to it when I get to it. Today is yoga, creative writing, video production, shopping, a 10K in the park and if there is any time left over I'll get back up there and "fix" another section. Good, bad, indifferent, wet or dry, them's the facts.


As an update, got in another BF run last night. Did 1.5 through the puddles and then shoed-up and did 1.5 with cushion, support and motion control. The former was 12.50, the latter 12:50. Regardless of the irony, guess which lap was the most fun? Additionally, I can very emphatically tell how my proprioceptors react and regulate load, stride length, balance, hip movement and core stability. It is pretty amazing all that takes place when you lose the shoes. My calves are a touch sore but the new black foam roller unknotted them quickly before yoga. The testing will continue.


Time to get at that sales pitch. And then the vid. Very much looking forward to our run and by the looks of this morning's cloud cover at sunrise over the club, this day will not require a bucket.


Give us this day.

2 comments:

ej said...

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

KML5 said...

Good one, that too.